[comp.sys.mac] MicroPhone Scripting

svc@well.sf.ca.us (Leonard Rosenthol) (02/25/90)

In article <6408.25e516f9@pbs.uucp> pcrable@pbs.uucp ( VAX WIZZ) writes:

>I just got Microphone II version 3.0 for my Mac.  I'm having problems
>in a script capturing incoming text into either variables or a file.
>Here's the script...
>
>  Send Text String "'MLS,ALL,ACTIVE^M^J'"
>  Set Variable * msgs from Expression "0"
>  While Expression "msgs < 5"
>   Set Variable * buf[msgs] from Expression "TheLine( CURSORROW )"
>   Set Variable * msgs from Expression "msgs+1"
>   Send Text String "'^F'"
>  End While
>  Send Text String "'^C'"
> [other stuff deleted as it was not part of problem]

	Your problem is a misunderstanding of MicroPhone's looping constructs.
As it says on page 302 of the reference manual, "The WHILE construct is 'static'
in that it does not move characters from the serial port to the terminal
window.  It should not be used to check for test strings as data is being
recieved, but only once data transmission is halted.  To test dynamic
conditiions, such as new data as it streams in to the terminal window, use
either the WAIT or the WHEN commands'.
	Since what you are trying to accomplish is, as best I can determine, to
fill the array buff with the list of messages you should probably use the WHEN
contruct to perform the test for completion of the messages.  Also in order to
get the data, it might be best to capture them into a file (Capture On, Capture
Off) and then read the data back out of the file into the array.   This is how
our sample scripts handle mail, and it works just fine.
	If you have other questions, please feel free to ask here, or via
EMail anid I will be more than glad to help you out.

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures
MicroPhone II Development Team

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (02/25/90)

In article <16381@well.sf.ca.us>, svc@well.sf.ca.us (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
.
.
.
>Leonard Rosenthol
>Software Ventures
>MicroPhone II Development Team

     I for one am impressed that someone connected with a commercial
product is willing to offer support (in any form) over Usenet.  Yay,
Software Ventures!  Not that I'm suggesting canonization or anything, but I
wish more companies would do this...

 /----------------------------\ /----------------------------------------\
| John Price                   | BITNET:   price@uclaph                   |
| 5-145 Knudsen Hall           | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu |
| UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice                 |
| Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259                   |
 \----------------------------/ \----------------------------------------/

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (02/27/90)

In article <00932CDA.BB401C20@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:
>.
>>Leonard Rosenthol
>>Software Ventures
>>MicroPhone II Development Team
>
>     I for one am impressed that someone connected with a commercial
>product is willing to offer support (in any form) over Usenet.  Yay,
>Software Ventures!  Not that I'm suggesting canonization or anything, but I
>wish more companies would do this...

	It's nice that there are at least three companies who are prominent
in this newsgroup, and I agree that it would be nice if more companies had
support on the net. The reality is that not all Mac companies have or
have access to netnews...

R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When someone who makes four hundred and fifty dollars an hour wants to
tell you something for free, it's a good idea to listen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (02/27/90)

In article <00932CDA.BB401C20@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:
>.
>>Leonard Rosenthol
>>Software Ventures
>>MicroPhone II Development Team
>
>     I for one am impressed that someone connected with a commercial
>product is willing to offer support (in any form) over Usenet.  Yay,
>Software Ventures!  Not that I'm suggesting canonization or anything, but I
>wish more companies would do this...

	And what am I? Chopped liver? :-) :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (03/04/90)

 In article <1967@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
 >In article <00932CDA.BB401C20@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu>
 jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:
 >>.
 >>>Leonard Rosenthol
 >>>Software Ventures
 >>>MicroPhone II Development Team
 >>
 >>     I for one am impressed that someone connected with a commercial
 >>product is willing to offer support (in any form) over Usenet.  Yay,
 >>Software Ventures!  Not that I'm suggesting canonization or anything, but
 >>wish more companies would do this...
 >
 >       And what am I? Chopped liver? :-) :-)
 >
 >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 > Rich Siegel
 > Staff Software Developer
 > Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 > Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 > UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

        Does this make me a blintz?

--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (03/06/90)

In article <16506@well.sf.ca.us> nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) writes:

> In article <1967@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
> >In article <00932CDA.BB401C20@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu>
> jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:
> >>.
> >>
> >>     I for one am impressed that someone connected with a commercial
> >>product is willing to offer support (in any form) over Usenet.  Yay,
> >>Software Ventures!  Not that I'm suggesting canonization or anything, but
> >>wish more companies would do this...
> >
> >       And what am I? Chopped liver? :-) :-)
> >
> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Rich Siegel
> > Staff Software Developer
> > Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
> > Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
> > UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
> >

>        Does this make me a blintz?
>

>--
>--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
>Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709
>nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us,                                        415-655-6666
>Niles.Assoc on AppleLink    		    	          fax: 415-649-8179

Woof!      (inside joke - sorry)

--Cy--      cy@dbase.a-t.com