[comp.sys.mac] Recommendation: Desk Top Publishing

ichang@hpindda.HP.COM (IB Chang) (03/03/90)

I need to configure a MAC-based desk top publishing system for a small
business. The immediate questions are:

1) MAC configuration:
   * MAC model
   * hard disk
   * printer
   * price and discount channel

2) software
   * what are the leading software for DTP ?
   * what are the best printers, scanners to be used with the software ?
   * price and discount channel.

3) support
   * How easy is the software (compare to 1-2-3) ?
   * Is it easy to install the system (software and hardware) ?
   * do I need much support from the scanner vendors ?
   * What are the best scanners and why are they the best ?

4) What is the total price range for such a system ?

5) Are there any stores in the Silicone valley (San Jose, CA) that have DTP
   demo systems ?

6) Any other idea, suggestions ?

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/06/90)

In an article of <2 Mar 90 18:33:27 GMT>, ichang@hpindda.HP.COM (IB Chang)
writes:

 IC>I need to configure a MAC-based desk top publishing system for a small
 IC>business. The immediate questions are:
 IC>
 IC>1) MAC configuration:
 IC>   * MAC model

Mac IIcx with 8 non-Apple megs of RAM

 IC>   * hard disk

Quantum 105 external and/or any 45 meg. cartridge drive.

 IC>   * printer

LaserWriter IINTX or one of the newer clones - but POSTSCRIPT.

 IC>   * price and discount channel

any channel that's close with good warranty policy

 IC>2) software

 PageMaker 4.0 for "quick-n-dirty" layouts
 Quark express for more precision

 IC>   * what are the best printers, scanners to be used with the software

The MicroTec 3000 scanner does color and grey and gets good marks as does the
HP scanjet (grey only)

OmniPage is supposed to be tops in OCR software but I do just fine with ReadIt!
at less cost.

 IC>3) support
 IC>   * How easy is the software (compare to 1-2-3) ?

MUCH easier

 IC>   * Is it easy to install the system (software and hardware) ?

yes

 IC>   * do I need much support from the scanner vendors ?

probably not

 IC>   * What are the best scanners and why are they the best ?

see above

Leo Bores

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org