[comp.sys.mac] SIMMs

twleung@athena.mit.edu (Theodore W. (Ted) Leung) (05/26/88)

I have a 1 meg Mac II that I'm trying to get upgraded to 5 Meg.  All the
places I've called have high profile SIMM's.  I know that high profile SIMM's
can interfere with the use of the internal expansion slot in an SE, but it
seems that there shouldn't be a problem in the Mac II.   Can anyone give a
good reason for not using high profile SIMM's.  Apple's SIMM's are low
profile, but they have to go into SE's as well.   The only thing I can come
up with is that somone might make a 68030 accelerator that mounts in the
socket for the 68020.   Also, a good source for SIMM's would be appreciated
as well.
Ted Leung      						     MIT/Project Athena
UUCP:...mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!twleung       Internet: twleung@athena.mit.edu

cooper@odin.ucsd.edu (Ken Cooper) (05/27/88)

In article <5521@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> twleung@athena.mit.edu (Theodore W. (Ted) Leung) writes:
>I have a 1 meg Mac II that I'm trying to get upgraded to 5 Meg.
> Also, a good source for SIMM's would be appreciated
>as well.

I have four 1 Mb (low profile) SIMMs that I'm selling to the highest bidder.
The current high offer is $1200. Care to make a bid?

Ken Cooper

ARPA:			cooper%cs@ucsd.edu
UUCP:			...!ucsd!sdcsvax!cooper
COMPUSERVE:		71571,407

dumesny@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Alain Dumesny) (05/27/88)

(Theodore W. (Ted) Leung) writes:
>Can anyone give a
>good reason for not using high profile SIMM's.  Apple's SIMM's are low
>profile, but they have to go into SE's as well.   The only thing I can come
>up with is that somone might make a 68030 accelerator that mounts in the
>socket for the 68020.   Also, a good source for SIMM's would be appreciated

The other reason why you might not want to get the high profile SIMM's is if
you decide to get a large size internal drive for the MAC II.   Drives like
the DataFrame 150i, which are full height, won't fit in the mac unless
you used low profile SIMM's.

Alain Dumesny
Cornell University

krm@aluxz.UUCP (Kurt Marko) (05/27/88)

In article <5521@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> twleung@athena.mit.edu (Theodore W. (Ted) Leung) writes:
>I have a 1 meg Mac II that I'm trying to get upgraded to 5 Meg.  All the
>places I've called have high profile SIMM's.  I know that high profile SIMM's
>can interfere with the use of the internal expansion slot in an SE, but it
>seems that there shouldn't be a problem in the Mac II.   Can anyone give a
>good reason for not using high profile SIMM's.  Apple's SIMM's are low
>profile, but they have to go into SE's as well.   The only thing I can come
>up with is that somone might make a 68030 accelerator that mounts in the
>socket for the 68020.   Also, a good source for SIMM's would be appreciated
>as well.

A potential problem with the so-called high-profile SIMMs is interference
with the modified disk-drive platforms used by CMS (and anyone else
using full-height internal hard drives).  To review...many (most?) of
the high capacity internal drives for the Mac II (150MB and up) are
full-height drives.  In order to install a full-height drive, you must
use a modified mounting platform which is recessed in the back (where
the hard drive sits) right over the SIMM slots.  I haven't checked the
dimensions, but I suspect that there isn't much clearance between the
drive tray and the top of the SIMMs.  High-profile SIMMs might make
such an installation impossible.  Now if you don't care about ever using
a full-height drive (I'm sure half-height 150's and 300's are on the way,
and maybe already here), this is a non-issue.

Kurt Marko
{att,ihnp4,...most_backbones...}!aluxz!krm

lakerfan@pnet06.cts.com (Donald Toy) (06/10/88)

With the "perceived / real" shortage of SIMMs for the Mac, the following
question came up : Will the 9 chip SIMMs usually found on the IBM PS/2 and
other workstations work on the Mac?  If anyone has experience (good or bad)
please e/mail.  I'll post summaries if there is enough interest.

UUCP: {crash uunet}!pnet06!lakerfan
ARPA: crash!pnet06!lakerfan@nosc.mil
INET: lakerfan@pnet06.cts.com

c60c-2am@e260-2b.berkeley.edu (Gordo Mohr) (10/13/89)

--

Chip Merchant down to $84?!? How low are prices going to go?

I want to bump my Mac SE to 2.5 megs but I can afford to wait. Waiting
just a few weeks has already saved me $30 ($99 was lowest price
not-so-long ago). How much longer should someone like I wait?

Gordon Mohr
c60c-2am@web.berkeley.edu

gilbertd@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (10/13/89)

In article <1989Oct13.035339.1580@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-2am@e260-2b (Gordo Mohr) writes:
>Chip Merchant down to $84?!? How low are prices going to go?
..
>not-so-long ago). How much longer should someone like I wait?

Some rag recently had a graph of past and projected RAM chip
prices -- MacWeek?   Based on that, you may expect SIMM prices
to drop gradually over the next 12 months.  The rate of drop
is supposed to be leveling off, and won't be as dramatic as
the last 6 months.  We may see $60 1Meg SIMMs in the next 6 months.
However, the price may start to increase after that, as chip
makers switch over to 4 megabit chips.

Don Gilbert                                  biocomputing office
gilbertd@iubio.bio.indiana.edu            gilbertd@iubacs.bitnet
archive for molecular & general biology       mac/vax/unix/msdos

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (10/13/89)

In article <1989Oct13.035339.1580@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-2am@e260-2b (Gordo Mohr) writes:
>--
>
>Chip Merchant down to $84?!? How low are prices going to go?
>
>I want to bump my Mac SE to 2.5 megs but I can afford to wait. Waiting
>just a few weeks has already saved me $30 ($99 was lowest price
>not-so-long ago). How much longer should someone like I wait?
>
>Gordon Mohr
>c60c-2am@web.berkeley.edu

According to a report in MacWeek, 1-Mbit DRAM chips cost $9-$10 right now.
MacWeek predicts that the price will continue to drop to about $3.50 in 1992.
That means by 1992 a 1MEG SIMM would cost less than $35.  They also say that
the price of 1-Mbit DRAM chips will rise again in 1992 due to the transition to
4-Mbit DRAM chips.

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			Computer Science Dept.
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (10/13/89)

The price drop is leveling out now... Where it was $5-10 a week not long ago,
is now $1-2 a week, often no change at all...

The nicest change was the Chip Merchant moving from 100ns parts to 80ns parts
AND dropping prices.

If you can afford it, go for it now-- the extra wait probably won't be
worth the lost time waiting for a 1 meg machine (or not being able to
run two apps at once).

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

sokolov@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael Sokolov) (11/09/89)

Did I recently see a posting claiming 1 meg rams were available
somewhere for $79 (or at any rate < $100) ? I lost the article, and no
amount of poring over MacWorld seems to be able to uncover such a
price...

please respond via E-mail.

-chintzily yours,
	Mike Sokolov

delbarre@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (kelvin.a.delbarre) (11/17/89)

I haven't seen this issue come up in the discussion of SIMMs.
Recently I called both Chip Merchant and Technology Works
(C.M. 800-426-6375/619-268-4774, T.W. 800-622-2210)
about SIMMs for a Mac IIci.  Both said they're shipping
70ns, fast page, low profile SIMMs; C.M. asks $79/meg,
and T.W. asks $98.  There are some differences in their
policies (T.W. takes credit cards, throws in a "free" "installation
kit" and gives a "lifetime warranty"; C.M. wants cash, cashier's
check or COD, did not mention installation kits, and gives a
five year warranty) but these don't appear significant enough
to account for the price difference.  BUT, T.W. claims to be
using CMOS chips, whereas  C.M. claims not to be.  Other
sources have claimed that ALL the 70-80ns SIMMs are CMOS.  So:
Is it likely that these SIMMs are around in both CMOS and non-CMOS?
Is there significant reason to prefer either kind?
Does the price difference seem reasonable?
Please reply by EMAIL and I'll summarize for the net.  Apple's RAM
prices being what they are, I'm sure many readers will be interested.

Kelvin Delbarre, attunix!kd

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (02/28/90)

In article <2316@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu writes:
>I just called Technology Works today and 1MB SIMMs have gone up in price.
>The lowest price I've gotten from them was $68 each a couple of weeks
>ago.  Now they are $84.  Does anybody know if there is going to be an
>upward trend in memory prices?  Is it time to buy before they're back up
>to a couple hundred dollars a piece?  Thanks

     When I bought my hard disk (Mirror) 1-1/2 months ago, it came with a
flyer advertising their SIMMS.  They had this theory that with System 7
coming out, everyone would want to buy memory, so the prices would go up.
Their suggestion - buy now, avoid the rush!  (Surprise, surprise...)  I
don't know how accurate this theory is, but it seems that simple economics
dictates that if more people want them, the price will go up.

 /----------------------------\ /----------------------------------------\
| John Price                   | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu |
| 5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph                   |
| UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice                 |
| Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259                   |
 \----------------------------/ \----------------------------------------/

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (02/28/90)

I just called Technology Works today and 1MB SIMMs have gone up in price.
The lowest price I've gotten from them was $68 each a couple of weeks
ago.  Now they are $84.  Does anybody know if there is going to be an
upward trend in memory prices?  Is it time to buy before they're back up
to a couple hundred dollars a piece?  Thanks

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

barrett2@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (02/28/90)

In article <2316@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu writes:
> I just called Technology Works today and 1MB SIMMs have gone up in price.
> The lowest price I've gotten from them was $68 each a couple of weeks
> ago.  Now they are $84.  Does anybody know if there is going to be an
> upward trend in memory prices?  Is it time to buy before they're back up
> to a couple hundred dollars a piece?  Thanks

I would guess that the $68 price you got from Peripheral Outlet or Chip
Merchant, since I have never seen a price below $80 from TW.

If it matters, I got SIMMs from PO, installed them myself, and have had no
problems.  Total price, including visa surcharge and shipping, was <150.

- tom

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/01/90)

The basenote said something about how System 7's release would cause SIMM
prices to go up.

I think the price increase has more to do with the Japanese manufacturers
slowing down production and drying up excess supply.  They had been flooding
the market with RAM chips to make it appear to be very unprofitable for
US Memories (now defunct) to enter the chip market.  As soon as US Memories
collapsed, all the major Japanese manufacturers cut production.  Big
surprise there, eh? :-)

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Need I say more?
------------------------------+---------------------------

jacobson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (03/01/90)

The prices in the back of MacWeek as of this week are still down to $61 a
Meg. I don't think that the lowering of price is totally due to Japanese
dumping. The arcitles I have seen have said that price lowering has
occured because the Koreans are now ramping up production.

And all the chips that we have ordered in the last 2 mo have all been
Korean Chips which would imply the Korean connection is the cause for
lower prices as the arcticles say.

BITNET  jacobson@uiucux1
ARPANET jacobson%uiucux1@a.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET   jacobson%uiucux1@uiuc.csnet
USENET  [ihnp4,pur-ee,convex]uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucux1!jacobson

Russ Jacobson
Illinois Geological Survey
Champaign, IL 61820
217-244-2425

lnk10562@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/02/90)

Just a thought on SIMMs...I read in Electronic Engineering Times that
IBM and TI/Toshiba are closing on production models of 16 Mbit DRAM chips,
(looks like they've all skipped over the 4 Mbit models).  Wonder if this
would mean you could put 2 megs into your computer by just adding one chip?
Imagine two SIMM boards wired together with one chip sitting in the middle.

With all of the talk about Sys7, I would expect a sharp demand when the
new system version first comes out, then a drop once again after a short
while, I think production volume will probably be right up to demand when the
time comes...

Louis Koziarz (koziarz@uiuc.edu)
Free Chevy Blazer with enrollment!

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) (03/02/90)

In article <8046.25eb8b72@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu> barrett2@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
>In article <2316@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu writes:
>> I just called Technology Works today and 1MB SIMMs have gone up in price.
>> The lowest price I've gotten from them was $68 each a couple of weeks
>> ago.  Now they are $84.  Does anybody know if there is going to be an
>> upward trend in memory prices?  Is it time to buy before they're back up
>> to a couple hundred dollars a piece?  Thanks
>
>I would guess that the $68 price you got from Peripheral Outlet or Chip
>Merchant, since I have never seen a price below $80 from TW.
>
>If it matters, I got SIMMs from PO, installed them myself, and have had no
>problems.  Total price, including visa surcharge and shipping, was <150.
>
>- tom

First a correction, the $68 price I mentioned above is incorrect, it
was $69.  Now, for all you doubting Thomas.  I have here in my hot
little hands an invoice from Technology Works for 1Mb SIMMs @ 70ns for
$69.00 each.  It was dated Feb 19, 1990.  Guess you all missed it.

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/02/90)

In an article of <28 Feb 90 13:27:30 GMT>, barrett2@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
writes:

 bA>I would guess that the $68 price you got from Peripheral Outlet or Chip
 bA>Merchant, since I have never seen a price below $80 from TW.
 bA>

I just purchased 4 megs of 80ns SIMMS from Chip Merchant @ $64/per meg.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (03/04/90)

In article <1990Feb28.182359.15170@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>The basenote said something about how System 7's release would cause SIMM
>prices to go up.
>
>I think the price increase has more to do with the Japanese manufacturers
>slowing down production and drying up excess supply.  They had been flooding
>the market with RAM chips to make it appear to be very unprofitable for
>US Memories (now defunct) to enter the chip market.  As soon as US Memories
>collapsed, all the major Japanese manufacturers cut production.  Big
>surprise there, eh? :-)

Alex Lau of BMUG has pointed out that Korean and German factories are
ramping up production of SIMMs, so we should stop thinking "us versus them".
I think Technology Works is often a little more expensive, but BMUG has
not heard any complaints, and besides, you get a torx wrench and a copy
of Fullwrite!  (or has the offer expired?)

[empty lines to satisfy mean WELL mailer]

--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/06/90)

In an article of <1 Mar 90 18:22:14 GMT>, hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong)
writes:

 HW>First a correction, the $68 price I mentioned above is incorrect, it
 HW>was $69.  Now, for all you doubting Thomas.  I have here in my hot
 HW>little hands an invoice from Technology Works for 1Mb SIMMs @ 70ns for
 HW>$69.00 each.  It was dated Feb 19, 1990.  Guess you all missed it.

Nah - you sold short! I just got 4 megs from the chip merchant for $64/per meg.
80ns.

Leo Bores