[comp.sys.mac] Attn: MathType & Word 4 Users

hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom) (03/02/90)

I was talking with Griff at Design Sciences (makers of MathType) today. We
were discussing problems with using MT with Word. For those of you who are
unfamiliar with either applications or the inconstancies, here is a little
background.

start background{

The main problem is the manner in which Word handles the equation PICTs
created with MT. When one creates a mathmatical expression (especially with
subscripts), MT calculates the number of points the equation needs to be
subscripted in order to have the proper vertical spacing. This information is
included in the PICT which is imported to Word via the Clipboard.
Unfortunately Word ignores this vertical spacing information leaving the user
to manually space the equation.

Other word processors like T/Maker's WriteNow take advantage of this
information so the graphics have the proper vertical spacing. Thus it would
appear that MT is doing "its part" properly. It seems that the "fault" lies
with Microsoft in the manner in which they handle the clipboard.

}end background

Griff told me that Design Science is quite small and has little influence with
the giant Microsoft. However, there has been success in the past where the end
users (you) have influenced Microsoft to make their products more consistent
with other products. Griff told me that one problem they was that Word
sometimes corrupted the clipboard data from MT. Enough users complained to
Microsoft and they recently fixed the bug (in a future release of 4.X).

Thus I finally get to the point. If all of you MathType/Word users write or
call Microsoft, they may at least address the vertical spacing problem. Please
take a few minutes and write...

Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
Internet:  hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
UUCP:   ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom

ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) (03/03/90)

From article <934@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP>, by hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom):
> I was talking with Griff at Design Sciences (makers of MathType) today. We
>  [stuff deleted]
> Thus I finally get to the point. If all of you MathType/Word users write or
> call Microsoft, they may at least address the vertical spacing problem. Please
> take a few minutes and write...

not a bad idea. We have for 2 years been users of MathType/Word and it's been
pretty frustrating not having Word behave itself when using MathType. I hope
*someone* from Microsoft may read this :-)

			ian
--

                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\

nicky@cup.portal.com (nick john pilch) (03/04/90)

MakeTest is another application that uses the information encoded in
MathType(TM)
and Expressionist(TM) PICTs. MakeTest is a test generation program for teachers
and trainers for creating and printing custom tests. We use the information to
line equations up with question numbers and answer choice labels when printing.

Disclaimer: I am one of the authors of MakeTest

Nick Pilch
Mountain Lake Software
nicky@cup.portal.com
AppleLink: MTLAKE

buckley@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Margret Buckley) (03/06/90)

From the April 1990 MACWORLD:  (MacBulletin, page 17)

Bon Mot about Word 4.0 Bug
     Microsoft has just released Word version 4.0a to address problems
with Word's management of imported PICT files; a bug occasionally corrupts
PICT objects copied from Word back into their creating applications.  The
problem affects SuperPaint files (SuperPaint is bundled with Word);
expressions created with Prescience Corporation's mathematical typography
package, Expressionist; and possibly other applications.  Version 4.0a
also fixes a bug in Word's Calculate command.  The upgrade is free to
registered owners who require it.  Contact Microsoft support at
206/454-2030.

Margret Buckley
SUMEX Computer Project
Knowledge Systems Laboratory
Stanford University

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/06/90)

In an article of <2 Mar 90 00:59:18 GMT>, hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (Brad
Hedstrom) writes:

 BH>I was talking with Griff at Design Sciences (makers of MathType) today.
 BH>We
 BH>were discussing problems with using MT with Word. For those of you who
 BH>are
 BH>unfamiliar with either applications or the inconstancies, here is a
 BH>little
 BH>background.
 BH>
 BH>start background{
 BH>
 BH>The main problem is the manner in which Word handles the equation PICTs
 BH>created with MT. When one creates a mathmatical expression (especially
 BH>with
 BH>subscripts), MT calculates the number of points the equation needs to
 BH>be
 BH>subscripted in order to have the proper vertical spacing. This
 BH>information is
 BH>included in the PICT which is imported to Word via the Clipboard.
 BH>Unfortunately Word ignores this vertical spacing information leaving
 BH>the user
 BH>to manually space the equation.
 BH>
 BH>Other word processors like T/Maker's WriteNow take advantage of this
 BH>information so the graphics have the proper vertical spacing. Thus it
 BH>would
 BH>appear that MT is doing "its part" properly. It seems that the "fault"
 BH>lies
 BH>with Microsoft in the manner in which they handle the clipboard.
 BH>
 BH>}end background
 BH>
 BH>Griff told me that Design Science is quite small and has little
 BH>influence with
 BH>the giant Microsoft. However, there has been success in the past where
 BH>the end
 BH>users (you) have influenced Microsoft to make their products more
 BH>consistent
 BH>with other products. Griff told me that one problem they was that Word
 BH>sometimes corrupted the clipboard data from MT. Enough users complained
 BH>Microsoft and they recently fixed the bug (in a future release of 4.X).
 BH>
 BH>
 BH>Thus I finally get to the point. If all of you MathType/Word users
 BH>write or
 BH>call Microsoft, they may at least address the vertical spacing problem.
 BH>Please
 BH>take a few minutes and write...

Wouldn't it just be easier to use MathType in Canvas and save the whole schmere
as a PICT? That way - Word is out of it!

Leo Bores

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org