[comp.sys.mac] The Ultimate in Greed, or: The Fab Four have lost their look 'n' feel

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (02/23/90)

I assume you all have heard about the Beatles' (a.k.a Apple Corps) lawsuit
against Apple for supposedly violating a secret agreement allowing Apple to
use, well, "Apple", as long as Apple didn't do anything related to music.

Here, straight from MacWeek, is the latest:

"Noting that Apple Corps' owners -- George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Yoko Ono
and Ringo Starr -- are 'among the richest people in the world,' Cooper [Apple
Corps' lawyer] speculated that if they win, 'They may just say [to Apple],
"That's it guys, you've had your license, now go change you name"', rather
than claiming a paltry $10 million or $15 million a year in license fees."

Pretty galling, isn't it?  Now, I know there are a lot of Apple-haters out
there, but think about it: if it hurts Apple, in the end it's going to hurt
Apple users, i.e. us.  So, in the end, _we_ have to suffer due to the actions
of these _immensely_ rich people.  Sheesh!

So, my questions are:

1) Can they do something ridiculous like make Apple change its name?

2) If the answer to one is "yes", what suggestions do you have for Apple's new
name? :->

3) How secure is Wingz' legal position, now that McCartney is in the suing
mood? :->

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

In article <7779@tank.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>So, my questions are:
>
>1) Can they do something ridiculous like make Apple change its name?
Assuming Apple really made such a stupid agreement and/or gets a judge
like the one who used to be on the H-P case, they could make Apple change its
brand names.  I'm fairly sure that company names cannot be copyrighted in the
U.S, so any such agreement as to the company name would probably be held to
be invalid (you can't have a contract which gives something for nothing).

>2) If the answer to one is "yes", what suggestions do you have for Apple's new
>name? :->
Beatles, of course....

Disclaimer: I'm definitely not a lawyer, so any and all legal information
above is not only suspect, its probably WRONG.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( ISR group account) (02/27/90)

But look at the Beatles suign them in another light:
Perhaps they're Mac users and in disgust at Apple suing
everyone else, they're just bringing pressure to bear to get
Apple to drop their "look and feel" suits..
Oh, and company names, while not copyrightable, are certainly
trademarks, which i think are more enforcable than copyrights.
(in addition to being RETROACTIVE if your a big company such
as McDonalds and you want to stomp out a little restaurant
which had been called McDonalds for the last 80 year)
Disclaimer:
McDonalds was mentioned above. I know for a fact it was not
the company that was actually in the above mentioned case. It
was actually a large Pizza chain that is one of the two largest
ones in the nation. (but i don't remeber which one)

--
Mike Schechter, Computer Engineer,Institute Sensory Research, Syracuse Univ.
InterNet: isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu   Bitnet: SENSORY@SUNRISE

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (03/06/90)

Apple better watch out if someone starts to use Macintoshs to electronically
control ovens and deep fryers....

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet