[comp.sys.mac] MACTCP

leipold@eplrx7.UUCP (leipold) (08/25/89)

I got a beta copy of MacX (Apple's X Windows implementation for the
Mac OS) a couple of weeks ago, along with MacTCP.  As expected, it
doesn't work "out of the box" on our system (LocalTalk, Kinetics
gateway, and EtherNet).  To check out the network hardware, I tried
NCSA's TelNet -- it ran flawlessly.  Then I tried the MacTCP version
of TelNet, thinking I'd sneak up on the problem -- it didn't work.
So my problem seems to be with MacTCP rather than with MacX.

Does anybody out there have any experience with MacTCP?  Is it
something simple I'm doing wrong?

--
--------------------------------------
"As long as you've lit one candle,

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (08/25/89)

In article <698@eplrx7.UUCP> leipold@eplrx7.UUCP (Walt Leipold) writes:
>I got a beta copy of MacX (Apple's X Windows implementation for the
>Mac OS) a couple of weeks ago, along with MacTCP.  As expected, it
>doesn't work "out of the box" on our system (LocalTalk, Kinetics
>gateway, and EtherNet).  To check out the network hardware, I tried
>NCSA's TelNet -- it ran flawlessly.  Then I tried the MacTCP version
>of TelNet, thinking I'd sneak up on the problem -- it didn't work.
>So my problem seems to be with MacTCP rather than with MacX.
>
>Does anybody out there have any experience with MacTCP?  Is it
>something simple I'm doing wrong?

We've been using MacTCP for the last few months, and it works just fine.
The only problem with it is that it is a bit difficult to figure out how
to configure, with all the various options for fixed and dynamic IP addresses,
name servers, etc.  You can send me mail directly and maybe I can help
you set it up.

By the way, how did you get MacX?  It's something that I've been wanting
to test since its announcement.  I was the author of xterm for X10.4, which
is the basis for X11 xterm.  I've been doing mostly Mac stuff since X11
came out, so I haven't really even looked at it.  MacX would be a strong
motivation to get back into X.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

lwilson@umabco.UUCP (Lowell G. Wilson) (08/29/89)

I am thinking about ordering a copy of MacTCP and was wondering if
anyone could answer a couple of basic questions for me first.  Does
MacTCP offer tn3270 support?  And can you highlight stuff from your
telnet session and copy it over to another application?  Thanks for any
information you can give me...
--
Lowell Wilson : Sinecure III        University of Maryland at Baltimore
                                    Information Resources Mgt Division

amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (08/30/89)

MacTCP from APDA gives you TCP/IP drivers.  Period.  No telnet.  No TN3270.
No FTP.  No nothing, just drivers.  To do Telnet, FTP, and so on, you need
an application that uses them, such as NCSA Telnet 2.3 (available via
anonymous FTP from zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu or uunet.uu.net, among other
places).

There is also a small but growing number of commercial products that provide
various useful services on top of MacTCP.

Disclaimer: my company sells one of them...

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

amanda@intercon.uu.net    |    ...!uunet!intercon!amanda

dixon@sagittarius.crd.ge.com (walt dixon) (08/30/89)

In article <698@eplrx7.UUCP> leipold@eplrx7.UUCP (Walt Leipold) writes:
>I got a beta copy of MacX (Apple's X Windows implementation for the
>Mac OS) a couple of weeks ago, along with MacTCP.  As expected, it
>doesn't work "out of the box" on our system (LocalTalk, Kinetics
>gateway, and EtherNet).  To check out the network hardware, I tried
>NCSA's TelNet -- it ran flawlessly.  Then I tried the MacTCP version
>of TelNet, thinking I'd sneak up on the problem -- it didn't work.
>So my problem seems to be with MacTCP rather than with MacX.
>
>Does anybody out there have any experience with MacTCP?  Is it
>something simple I'm doing wrong?

I have observed similar symptoms.  We are using LocalTalk for the link
level,  gatewayed to an ethernet backbone through a Kinetics Fastpath 4
gateway.  The ethernet backbone and localtalk are on different ip subnets.
(We are running KStar Version 7 with split addressing).  The Kinetics
box advertises itself as a gateway giving its ethernet side ip address.
MacTCP only talks to gateways in its own ip subnet.  Its not really clear
whether this is a kinetics or apple problem.  I have talked to someone
in the MacTCP development group at apple.  He was very helpful and was
responsible for diagnosing this problem.  I don't know if it has been
solved yet.

Walt Dixon		{internet:	dixon@crd.ge.com	}
			{us mail:	ge crd			}
			{		po box 8		}
			{		schenectady,  ny 12345	}
			{phone:		518-387-5798		}

Walt Dixon dixon@crd.ge.com

paul@aucs.uucp (Paul Steele) (02/15/90)

How does one go about getting a copy of MacTCP?  I checked the Apple
price list and it isn't there.  We're getting a copy of Mac POP which
requires MacTCP, and I've certainly heard talk about the package, but
where is it?

--
Paul H. Steele    UUCP:     {uunet|watmath|utai}!cs.dal.ca!aucs!Paul
Acadia University BITNET:   Paul@Acadia  or  PHS@Acadia (preferred)

dj02+@andrew.cmu.edu (Dale Allen James) (02/20/90)

Paul,

Mac TCP is available from APDA....$20 annual membership fee.

1-800-282-APDA

Jeff

burrows@milton.acs.washington.edu (William Burrows) (03/04/90)

Does anyone know where one can get a copy of MACTCP?

Thanks

Bill Burrows  burrows@milton.acs.washington.edu

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (03/07/90)

In article <2247@milton.acs.washington.edu> burrows@milton.acs.washington.edu (William Burrows) writes:

>Does anyone know where one can get a copy of MACTCP?

From APDA the part number is:M0230LL/A
this is a single user license (what ever that means)
The cost is a whopping $100

>Thanks
>
>Bill Burrows  burrows@milton.acs.washington.edu

Matthew Mora