[comp.sys.mac] Need info about Dollars and Sense file format

mike@george.uh.edu (Mike Frederick) (03/06/90)

I need help from anyone who knows about the disk file structure of MONOGRAM
Software's DOLLARS AND SENSE (hereafter DAS) account files.  I have contacted
MONOGRAM via CompuServe on multiple occaisions (beginning in mid January), and
I have been directed to one of the developers.  Now the developer seems to be
ignoring my messages (since 10-Feb).  I am using DAS 4.1B.

What I did was the following:  I ARCHIVEd *all* transactions for 1989 out of my
current account file into an archive file.  The disk with the archive file has
gotten destroyed (physically) and my account file backups have all since been
updated, so now my account files (and backups) only show 1990's transactions.

I began dumping the account file, and I noticed that all of the transaction
titles from 1898 seem to still be present in the account file.  This, coupled
with the fact that the manual states that you don't recover space from ARCHIVEd
transactions until you later do a SAVE AS... (to create a new account file)
leads me to believe that the transactions are still present in the account
file, but that they have some sort of "archive bit" turned on, to get DAS to
ignore them, and delete them when the SAVE AS... is finally performed.  Oh, I
also have not yet "closed" 1989.

What I need to know is some way of going through the account file and turning
off the "archive" bit on transactions.  I managed to break the DAS 1.x file
format, but 4.1 seems to be far more difficult.

If anyone can help, please send mail to me (I'm not registered in this group).
I've got to get started on my 1989 income taxes!

Mike Frederick
University of Houston
MIKE@UH.EDU   (Internet)
(713)997-1223 (work)

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (03/07/90)

In article <5728.25f28c3b@george.uh.edu> mike@george.uh.edu (Mike Frederick) writes:
>I need help from anyone who knows about the disk file structure of MONOGRAM
>Software's DOLLARS AND SENSE (hereafter DAS) account files.  I have contacted
>MONOGRAM via CompuServe on multiple occaisions (beginning in mid January), and
>I have been directed to one of the developers.  Now the developer seems to be
>ignoring my messages (since 10-Feb).  I am using DAS 4.1B.

The latest version of D&S is 4.1c, if you are having problems with D&S
its probably due to using an older version of the program. As far as I
know the file format of the D&S files is prorietary to Monogram.

----

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.