[comp.sys.mac] UNIX un-binhex & un-stuff

alh@pyrnova (Alan Holzman) (03/04/90)

In article <14056@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> straka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (richard.j.straka,ih,) writes:

> unsit, for those who want to use it -> "unsit"
>
>Any discussion?

	This message came just as I was trying to find the unsit.shar
file, but without sucess. I've been using mcvert on a Pyramid to combine
and un-binhex. This works quite well and VERY fast. The next step is to
use Zterm 0.85 (my telecomm program of choice) for a zmodem download to
my MAC. This is also quite fast. The last step, using Stuffit 1.5.1 on
the MAC to un-stuff is the slow step. I've heard about this program;
unsit, which can do the un-stuffing on UNIX. Since I've got this powerful
Pyramid machine, it makes sense to do the download here and then download.

		Could someone email a binhexed ... compressed ... uuencoded
or whatever version to me of unsit(.shar ?).

Thanks very much ;

- Al

alh@pyrnova (Alan Holzman) (03/07/90)

<AH>
<AH>         This message came just as I was trying to find the unsit.shar
<AH> file, but without sucess. I've been using mcvert on a Pyramid to combine
<AH> and un-binhex. This works quite well and VERY fast. The next step is to
<AH> use Zterm 0.85 (my telecomm program of choice) for a zmodem download to
<AH> my MAC. This is also quite fast. The last step, using Stuffit 1.5.1 on
<AH> the MAC to un-stuff is the slow step. I've heard about this program;
<AH> unsit, which can do the un-stuffing on UNIX. Since I've got this powerful
<AH> Pyramid machine,it makes sense to do the download here and then download.
<AH>
<AH>         Could someone email a binhexed ... compressed ... uuencoded
<AH> or whatever version to me of unsit(.shar ?).
<AH>

	Thanks very much to both Rich Straka and Jeff Wasilko for emailing a
copy of unsit to me. The version Jeff sent is the new version which can also
save in macbinary format instead of just the .info .rsrc & .data files .

	Stuffit is a great program, but somewhat slow. Now it is very fast
and easy to do the following :

		1. Save a file(s) from comp.binaries.mac
		2. Combine & un-binhex with Mcvert
		3. Unstuff with Unsit
		4. Download to your Mac using zmodem via Zterm 0.85

	As steps 2 and 3 are done on your UNIX system, they are lightning
fast. Zterm is a great program with the fastest downloads around. If you
downloaded it from comp.binaries.mac and haven't tried it yet ... do so.
Fast, easy to use, good vt100 and only $ 30 shareware. What you get after
the download is an immediately usable Mac program,DA,init or whatever.

Thanks again Rich & Jeff ...

- Al