[comp.sys.mac] Help How do I download binary files with Kermit?

EHYOUNK@MTUS5.BITNET (03/03/90)

I am trying to download files from a ftp site that does not support the .hqx fo
rmat.  The files from this site are all in .bin, .sit, or .pit format.  When I
try to download these files from my campus mainframe computer using kermit, all
 I get is a trashed file.  I am using MacKermit for my communications software.
  When I get the file from the ftp site I use the binary command before I issue
 the send command.  When I download from the mainframe to my computer I issue a
 file-type binary command.  My Kermit program it set up to get files in binary
form.  The file is store in the date fork.  How can I get a runable program out
 of this.   (Anything would help. Thanks in advance.).

Ed H. Younk
Michigan Tech University
Electrical Engineering Student

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/07/90)

To:   EHYOUNK@MTUS5.BITNET
In an article of <2 Mar 90 20:30:09 GMT>, EHYOUNK@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

 EA>I am trying to download files from a ftp site that does not support the
 EA>.hqx fo
 EA>rmat.  The files from this site are all in .bin, .sit, or .pit format.
 EA>When I
 EA>try to download these files from my campus mainframe computer using
 EA>kermit, all
 EA> I get is a trashed file.  I am using MacKermit for my communications

But all those files ARE in binary format. However, they've all been altered by
MacBinary so that both the data and resource forks transfer. Try running these
files through StuffIt using the Decode BinHex in the OTHER menu or use BinHex4
on them.  BatchBinary MAY not be able to handle BinHex4 format.

Leo Bores

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org