[comp.sys.mac] Tape Backup Info Wanted

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (03/05/90)

Hi all!  I am contemplating the purchase of a tape backup unit for my
mac and am publicly asking if anyone has any information on pricing,
standards, reliability, brands, etc. etc. that they would be willing to
share with me.  While highly mac literate, I am tape illiterate, so
whatever info you have is appreciated!  Thanks very much.

-JBZimmerman!
--
___________           |Oreotation:The precise twist used to separate an
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

gdavis@primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) (03/07/90)

From article <14249@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman):
> Hi all!  I am contemplating the purchase of a tape backup unit for my
> mac and am publicly asking if anyone has any information on pricing,
> standards, reliability, brands, etc. etc. that they would be willing to

I'm posting a reply rather than mailing it because it may be of
general interest.

There seems to be a consensus now that the TEAC tape drives are probably
the best deals. Both MacWorld and MacUser (in December 89, I think) came
to this conclusion. There are 60 and 150 meg units available, but the
price difference is getting so small that there may be no reason to
consider the 60. I saw a rumor somewhere that TEAC is coming out
with a much larger unit as well.

A while back a number of people on the net assembled their own 150 meg
TEACs and saved a fair amount of money. Everyone seems to be very
satisfied with their drives. The construction is very simple and
pretty much just requires screwdrivers.

I also assembled one and am delighted with it. I've written a fairly
detailed account of the process, which I would be happy to send to
anyone interested. I would also like to take the opportunity here
to thank people who answered some questions I had while working
on the drive but whose addresses were unknown to our mailer.

It cost me about $550 to build the drive myself. The cheapest
prices I have seen by mail are $849 for a CMS unit from
MacLand (800-333-3353) and $700 from Diskette Gazette
(800-222-6032). The latter takes its power from the external
floppy port, so would need an external power supply to be used
with a Mac II.

These commercial units presumably come with software which
you would need to buy separately if you build your own. However,
with something like Retrospect you would have software which
is most likely much superior to whatever is bundled with the
drives.

Gary Davis

werner@milano.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (03/07/90)

to follow-up and add to the account of gdavis@primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis)
in this group:

> There seems to be a consensus now that the TEAC tape drives are probably
the best deals. Both MacWorld and MacUser (in December 89, I think) came
to this conclusion. There are 60 and 150 meg units available, but the
price difference is getting so small that there may be no reason to
consider the 60. I saw a rumor somewhere that TEAC is coming out
with a much larger unit as well.

	all correct.  TEAC has a 600meg tape about ready ...
	probably not at a competitive price to the 150megger
	during the first years (gotta collect those bucks from
	folks with sugar-daddies first,right?!)

> A while back a number of people on the net assembled their own 150 meg
TEACs and saved a fair amount of money. Everyone seems to be very
satisfied with their drives. The construction is very simple and
pretty much just requires screwdrivers.

	correct also.  we bought 25 of the bare drives and then went
	separate ways in buying enclosures and software.  I still run
	a mailing-list for occasional communications among the group
	(was teac@rascal.ics.utexas.edu - now more generically better
	addressed as tape-hackers@rascal.ics.utexas.edu)  and I have
	all the traffic archived if anyone wants it (FTPable from
	RASCAL are files mac/.../teac.*).  If you want to build a
	single drive today, you'll find pointers to single-quantity
	price for drive of <$390, enclosure with power-supply <$30
	and PD-software for A/UX but not Mac-OS (commercial alternatives
	range from ~$50 to ~$150 for Retrospect)

I also assembled one and am delighted with it. I've written a fairly
detailed account of the process, which I would be happy to send to
anyone interested. I would also like to take the opportunity here
to thank people who answered some questions I had while working
on the drive but whose addresses were unknown to our mailer.

	that account is also in the RASCAL-archive, I believe.

				Cheers,		---Werner

--
INTERNET:    		werner@cs.utexas.edu