[comp.sys.mac] NumberCrunch trouble...

ubi@ginger.sri.com (03/08/90)

Awhile back, I got what I believe is the latest version of the
NumberCrunch DA.  I played with it and liked it a lot.  Unfortunately,
it seems often to cause a (hard) system bomb upon exiting.  I suspect
that this may be due to memory problems--I'm running plain old Finder
on a 1-Meg SE, + GateKeeper, Vaccine, & RWatcher inits.  Has anyone
else had similar problems?  Should I try it on my 5-Meg SE/30 at home?
For now I've uninstalled it.

--Ron Ueberschaer
  SRI International
  ubi@unix.sri.com
  ...!{hplabs,rutgers}!sri-unix!ubi

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/08/90)

In article <9876@unix.SRI.COM> ubi@ginger.sri.com () writes:
>Awhile back, I got what I believe is the latest version of the
>NumberCrunch DA.  I played with it and liked it a lot.  Unfortunately,
>it seems often to cause a (hard) system bomb upon exiting.  I suspect

You don't mention which version you're using.  Current, I believe, is 1.2.
Available from sumex in the /info-mac/da directory.

--Mike

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (03/08/90)

In article <9876@unix.SRI.COM> ubi@ginger.sri.com () writes:
>Awhile back, I got what I believe is the latest version of the
>NumberCrunch DA.  I played with it and liked it a lot.  Unfortunately,
>it seems often to cause a (hard) system bomb upon exiting.
>Has anyone else had similar problems?

Yes, I saw frequent bombs when quitting the *application* version on a Mac II
with 6.0.4, MultiFinder, and 5 megs.  For me, the DA version seems more
reliable.  No bombs seen with it yet, but occasionally it fails to complete
an operation (like graphing a simple expression) and posts an alert saying
that there is insufficient stack space.

I hope that a more stable version is in the works.  It's a really handy
piece of software.
--
Julian Vrieslander
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853