[comp.sys.mac] Darkness Screen Saver

ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael A. Libes) (03/07/90)

Tired of watching the Moire pattern, fireworks?  Don't want to spend $35
for a screen saver.

Darkness is a new idea in screen savers.  It is a background-only
Multifinder program, not an INIT or CDEV.  It is compatible with all
programs which are "Multifinder aware."

Darkness is also extendible.  Anyone with a little Mac programming
experience can use the included source code to create whatever pattern
he wishes.  My favorite is pitch black, but there are other "Blackouts"
included.

Darkness has recently appeared on mac.binaries.  It is cheap Shareware,
so download it, try it out, and give it to all your friends.

    - Luni

harlan@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Pete Harlan) (03/07/90)

ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael A. Libes) writes:

|Darkness is a new idea in screen savers.  It is a background-only
|Multifinder program, not an INIT or CDEV.  It is compatible with all
|programs which are "Multifinder aware."

But not compatable with MultiFinder itself -- perhaps it is
MultiFinder's fault, but you can't switch applications by clicking in
the small icon in the upper-right-hand corner of the screen when using
Darkness.  If this is a problem for you, then don't bother with
Darkness.

Too bad, because except for that I could really get into programming
my own screens.  (The docs complain about inits/cdevs conflicting, but
perhaps if it _were_ a cdev all its irritating problems would
disappear?  My cdevs don't give me any problems...)

Pete Harlan
harlan@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (03/07/90)

In article <QZx5D=u00WBK82tYNT@andrew.cmu.edu> ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael A. Libes) writes:
>Tired of watching the Moire pattern, fireworks?  Don't want to spend $35
>for a screen saver?

Pyro! 4.0 is $22 at MacConnection.  If you already own Pyro!, you can
upgrade to 4.0 for $15 or you can switch to After Dark 1.1 for the
same price.  See MacWEEK 6 March 1990, page 10, "Berkeley Systems woos
Pyro! owners." If you don't get MacWEEK, call Berkeley at
415-540-5535 to ask about switching.

>Darkness is a new idea in screen savers.  It is a background-only
>Multifinder program, not an INIT or CDEV.  It is compatible with all
>programs which are "Multifinder aware."

>Darkness is also extendible.  Anyone with a little Mac programming
>experience can use the included source code to create whatever pattern
>he wishes.  My favorite is pitch black, but there are other "Blackouts"
>included.

Pyro! 4.0 and After Dark are also extensible.  Time to revive that old
Dali Clock...
--
Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (03/08/90)

>|Darkness is a new idea in screen savers.  It is a background-only
>|Multifinder program, not an INIT or CDEV.  It is compatible with all
>|programs which are "Multifinder aware."
>
>But not compatable with MultiFinder itself -- perhaps it is
>MultiFinder's fault, but you can't switch applications by clicking in
>the small icon in the upper-right-hand corner of the screen when using
>Darkness.  If this is a problem for you, then don't bother with
>Darkness.

Yes, I noticed that, too.  Darkness seems to kill On Cue's keyboardswitching
(between apps).

Ray