[comp.sys.mac] Moose and SE/30

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (03/06/90)

can anyone think of a reason why the new Moose (as in Talking, the CDEV
version) should not work on an SE/30 (sys 6.04, Macintalk installed, 5
meg memory)?  I'd like to find out about this before buying it.

-mike

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (03/07/90)

In article <oZwoIem00UzxQ2EEwC@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:

> can anyone think of a reason why the new Moose (as in Talking, the CDEV
> version) should not work on an SE/30 (sys 6.04, Macintalk installed, 5
> meg memory)?  I'd like to find out about this before buying it.

I can't say as to that, specifically.  However, a note about the future...
Apple's latest word on Macintalk is that it will _NOT_ work with the
new Sound Manager which is included in System 7.0.

Macintalk apparently pokes data directly into the sound hardware on the
older Macs... a technique which doesn't work on the Mac II and other
machines with the Apple Sound Chip.  The Sound Manager in System 6.0.x
attempts to emulate the older hardware's behavior, by trapping writes
to the nonexistent hardware and generating equivalent commands to the
Sound Chip.  There are some serious problems with this emulation... it
locks out all other Sound Manager access, including SysBeep(), and you
must issue an ExitToShell() to reset the compatibility mode and get
your sound hardware back.

Apple is rewriting the Sound Manager for System 7.0, to supply some
long-sought-after features (finally, REAL stereo sound capability!).
They've apparently decided that the old hardware-emulation mode is
not compatible with the new Sound Manager design, and are going to drop
it.

So... if you buy Talking Moose now, it'll stop working when you
install System 7.0... unless somebody comes up with a complete
reimplementation of Macintalk which is Sound Manager compatible.
--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ross Ward Comer) (03/07/90)

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:
> can anyone think of a reason why the new Moose (as in Talking, the CDEV
> version) should not work on an SE/30 (sys 6.04, Macintalk installed, 5
> meg memory)?  I'd like to find out about this before buying it.

Yup, I can (or at least found out when I got my SE/30).  You need
Macintalk v1.3 (stress on the v1.3) in your system folder.  Finding
this is the difficult part, though.  I believe it is included on the
disk when you pay the Moose shareware fee...  Also, I think I may have
it somewhere...

ross
rc3h@andrew.cmu.edu

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (03/09/90)

One of the tech notes just posted to comp.binaries.mac explains
macintalk---

	Macintalk was subcontracted as demo software for the
	1984 rollout of the Mac 128k, so the mac could
	introduce itself to the audience.

In other words, apple doesn't have the source, never intended to
support it, but nevertheless it SURVIVED.  It is guaranteed to die in
system 7.0.  Also, it is guaranteed to kill your mac whenever two
programs compete for the sound manager.

I think it's very sad that Apple has not ceased on the opportunity to
add a voice capability to the macintosh.  This reminds me of Xerox,
where the best software was always written during spare time as a "fun
hack".  The marketing 'droids never had the creativity to understand
why or how someone could use such a "fun hack".

Look what happened to Xerox.

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (03/09/90)

	Talking Moose is one of the silliest things I've ever seen.  Aside
from the fact that it does absolutely nothing useful, I can't even make out
what it's saying most of the time (nor can most other people I know, unless
they listen very closely).  This is, however, totally immaterial.  People
like it.  Lots of people around here run it on their macs.  I can see
disaster looming in the distance.  System 7.0 will come out.  I will lay
down the law that all Macs on the network must be running the same version
of the System (or at least LaserPrep) to preserve my sanity.  People will
discover that Moose doesn't run under 7.0 and will revert to 6.0.3.  I'll
go nuts.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"