[comp.sys.mac] THINK Pascal 3.0 / Prototyper 2.1

ke2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/06/90)

  I just received an offer from Symantec to upgrade to THINK Pascal v3.0.
At first glance, this seemed great.  However, after a few moments, I was not
as convinced.
  Not that I think it will be a bad upgrade, but...  I just recently spent a
good bit of money on Prototyper 2.1.  This seemed to work fine with THINK
Pascal 2.01, but their manual claimed that owners of earlier versions of
THINK Pascal may have to do a good bit of work to use it.

  My concern is whether this will be true of THINK Pascal 3.0 and Prototyper
2.1 - will I be able to use them together "as is" or will I have to either
do a bit of hacking or wait until Prototyper upgrades?

  Anyone know???

(Rich - what are THINK/Symantec's views on this?)

                                                   -- John

|  John T. Chapman                       |                                    |
|                                        |  Witty message under repair...     |
|  ke2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu             |                                    |
|  ke2y@crnlvax5.bitnet                  |                                    |
|       Disclaimer: These opinions are mine.  You can't have them!            |

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (03/07/90)

In article <3573.25f387de@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> ke2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>  Not that I think it will be a bad upgrade, but...  I just recently spent a
>good bit of money on Prototyper 2.1.  This seemed to work fine with THINK
>Pascal 2.01, but their manual claimed that owners of earlier versions of
>THINK Pascal may have to do a good bit of work to use it.
>
>  My concern is whether this will be true of THINK Pascal 3.0 and Prototyper
>2.1 - will I be able to use them together "as is" or will I have to either
>do a bit of hacking or wait until Prototyper upgrades?

	Prototyper 2.1 generates Pascal which took advantage of features
which were available in THINK Pascal 2.0 but were not available in
THINK Pascal 1.0. Since 3.0 is completely upward-compatible (with the exception
being a change in how arrays and records are packed) from 2.0, this should
not be a problem.

R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When someone who makes four hundred and fifty dollars an hour wants to
tell you something for free, it's a good idea to listen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ke2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/07/90)

In article <2104@husc6.harvard.edu>, siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
writes:

                 [My question deleted for brevity - John]

> 	Prototyper 2.1 generates Pascal which took advantage of features
> which were available in THINK Pascal 2.0 but were not available in
> THINK Pascal 1.0. Since 3.0 is completely upward-compatible (with the exception
> being a change in how arrays and records are packed) from 2.0, this should
> not be a problem.
>
> R.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>  Rich Siegel
>  Staff Software Developer
>  Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
>  Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
>  UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
>
> "When someone who makes four hundred and fifty dollars an hour wants to
> tell you something for free, it's a good idea to listen."
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, Rich - that's just what I was hoping to hear.

                                                   --John

|  John T. Chapman                       |                                    |
|                                        |  Witty message under repair...     |
|  ke2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu             |                                    |
|  ke2y@crnlvax5.bitnet                  |                                    |
|       Disclaimer: These opinions are mine.  You can't have them!            |

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (03/09/90)

As an addendum, AppMaker (a similar product to Prototyper) will also
generate Object Oriented code for both Think C & Pascal.

Disclaimer: AppMaker's author comes to my user group and I like his product
but that don't change the above fact.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."