[comp.sys.mac] MNP-5 with Microphone II

c60a-3hu@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Calvin Cheng) (03/05/90)

I've just got thss Everex 24E+ 2400bps MNP-5 modem and am thinking
of accessing the modem in the MNP-5 mode t connect to campus with a
computer- modem speed of 19200bps. It seems that alot of special AT
commands have to be sent to the modem before this can be done. I've
got little luck fiddling with ZTerm 0.85. Since I'm seriously
thinking of using Microphone II for communications, I want to be
absolutely sure if this can be done cleanly (and not after some
dirty kludges) with Mic II 3.0. By the way, as I'm unfamiliarwith
the MNP-5 standard, could somebody please enlighten me on the
protcal and the level of standardization among MNP-5 modems (ie
what modem is mine equivalent to)?

| Calvin Cheng                                                          |
| c60a-3hu@web.berkely                    The Best is Yet to Be!        |
| calvinc@ocf.berkeley                    The Best is Yet to Be!        |

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/05/90)

In article <1990Mar4.203716.12505@agate.berkeley.edu> c60a-3hu@e260-1g (Calvin Cheng) writes:

>I've just got thss Everex 24E+ 2400bps MNP-5 modem and am thinking
>of accessing the modem in the MNP-5 mode t connect to campus with a
>computer- modem speed of 19200bps. It seems that alot of special AT
>commands have to be sent to the modem before this can be done. I've
>got little luck fiddling with ZTerm 0.85. Since I'm seriously
>thinking of using Microphone II for communications, I want to be
>absolutely sure if this can be done cleanly (and not after some
>dirty kludges) with Mic II 3.0. By the way, as I'm unfamiliarwith
>the MNP-5 standard, could somebody please enlighten me on the
>protcal and the level of standardization among MNP-5 modems (ie
>what modem is mine equivalent to)?

Hiya,

  First of all, why the 19.2?  With MNP-5 compression, you will be running at
4800 BPS effective throughput on the modems, assuming a good connection.
Using a computer<->modem speed much faster than that doesn't really get you
much.  9600 might be worth it just so that the modem never, ever has to wait
for anything....

  Second, the AT commands aren't any too nasty.  You'll notice that ZTerm has
the "Modem String" option, or somesuch.  Why not just set that to the
apropriate settings.  Or, you could do what I do which is to map a function
key in ZTerm (using MasterStrokes) to the apropriate string.  Then I can just
zap it out to the modem whenever.  You can also define multiple strings for
different purposes.

  As for the protocol, in 100 words or less, it uses some form of checksum for
error detection, and uses a data compression algorithm which basically removes
superfluous leading zeros from bytes and reinserts them on the other end (I
think, from the discussion I had with the algorithm's designer... it was
awhile ago).

  I've never used Microphone II 3.0, since I found their upgrade fee to be
utterly outrageous, and didn't really like the program much in the first
place.  ZTerm does everything I need, except really good vt100.  I'm hoping...

--Mike

svc@well.sf.ca.us (Leonard Rosenthol) (03/06/90)

In article <1990Mar4.203716.12505@agate.berkeley.edu> c60a-3hu@e260-1g (Calvin Cheng) writes:

>I've just got thss Everex 24E+ 2400bps MNP-5 modem and am thinking
>of accessing the modem in the MNP-5 mode t connect to campus with a
>computer- modem speed of 19200bps. It seems that alot of special AT
>commands have to be sent to the modem before this can be done. I've
>got little luck fiddling with ZTerm 0.85. Since I'm seriously
>thinking of using Microphone II for communications, I want to be
>absolutely sure if this can be done cleanly (and not after some
>dirty kludges) with Mic II 3.0. By the way, as I'm unfamiliarwith
>the MNP-5 standard, could somebody please enlighten me on the
>protcal and the level of standardization among MNP-5 modems (ie
>what modem is mine equivalent to)?

	To begin with let's start with MNP - the MicroCom Networking Protocol -
which is now becoming an industry standard for data compression and error
correction in modems.  You should be able to take advantage of this function-0
ality with any other modem which also supports MNP-5, of which more and more are
appearing daily.  You can, of course, talk to any other 300/1200/2400 standard
modem w/o the MNP extras.
	Since MNP is hardware specific, in terms of configuring the modem to
use the 'auto-reliable mode' (MNP ON), MicroPhone II takes no special actions
in supporting MNP, as it does not need to!  As long as you have properly
configured the modem (using those AT commands), then MPII (and any other
comm program) will talk to the modem and if the modem connects to another MNP
capable modem then the modems will take advantage of the MNP connection, and
the software won't/doesn't care!  You can, however, use protocols such as
YMODEM-G which will give you 96% (or more) effiecienty in speed due to it
assuming an error correctioin connection (ie. MNP On).
	If you do purchase MicroPhone II, our technical support staff will be
more than glad to help you through the setting up of the modem into 'auto-
reliable mode' as well as any other help you need.  Just a phone call (or
EMail messag) away.

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures
MicroPhone II Development Team

>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Calvin Cheng                                                          |
>| c60a-3hu@web.berkely                    The Best is Yet to Be!        |
>| calvinc@ocf.berkeley                    The Best is Yet to Be!        |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

Zeff.Wheelock@p1.f450.n101.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Zeff Wheelock) (03/09/90)

>ZTerm does everything I need, except really good vt100.  I'm hoping...

The programmer has stated to tell him what you want in VT100 emulation and he
will see what he can do.

Zeff Wheelock

--
Zeff Wheelock via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!101!450.1!Zeff.Wheelock