[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter/ImageWriter format problems

gross@umiami.miami.edu (03/05/90)

Okay, see if any of you Mac wizards can figure this out...I think I
know the answer...but I ain't sure...

We have two Mac Labs on campus...one with ImageWriter IIs and one with
LaserWriters IINTs.  The problem seems to be whenever someone uses the
MS Word 4.0 in the IW lab and then comes to the LW lab, their
document becomes reformatted.  The degree of reformation varies
from simple margin problems to tonight where someone and two extra
hard returns for each line.

Now, I know the Mac will reformat (or is it just Word?) a doc according
to which printer is currently selected, but is there a way to stop
it from doing that?  Or is there an easy to correct the problem?

Thanks!

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Hey, wanna save the world? | Got sumtin' to say?        gross@umiami.bitnet

gilbertd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (03/07/90)

Tell imagewriter/laserwriter users to always select the "Tall Adjusted"
option in Page Setup for the imagewriter.  This makes the imagewriter
pagesize equivalent to laserwriter, and no reformatting occurs.  It should
be the default option, but isn't (probably because imagewriters came
before lwriters).
  If you get mypagesetup utility, that has an option to make Tall Adjusted
the default choice for all new documents.  mypagesetup is available at
info-mac archive (sumex-aim.stanford.edu), directory /info-mac/util
  -- Don
Don Gilbert  biocomputing office   /  archive for
gilbertd@iubio.bio.indiana.edu    /  molecular & general biology
biology dept., indiana univ.,    /  ftp iubio.bio.indiana.edu
bloomington, in 47405, usa      /  (129.79.1.101) user anonymous

hal@krishna.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) (03/08/90)

One more thing to do that I haven't seen mentioned here yet: Make sure
that you're using Adobe's version of the LaserWriter screen fonts, not
the ones that Apple supplies with the system software.  The Adobe
screen fonts are a much better match for the ones in the LaserWriter.

Hal Perkins                hal@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (03/10/90)

In article <38080@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> gilbertd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
(Don Gilbert) writes:
> Tell imagewriter/laserwriter users to always select the "Tall Adjusted"
> option in Page Setup for the imagewriter.  This makes the imagewriter
> pagesize equivalent to laserwriter, and no reformatting occurs.  It
> should be the default option, but isn't (probably because imagewriters
> came before lwriters).

This is NOT a reliable way to prevent refomatting of documents when you
shift them from one system (with a LaserWriter) to another (with an
ImageWriter).  It may work sometimes, but you will get bitten sooner or
later.

There is only one reliable way to prevent reformatting, and that is to
avoid changing printers.  When an application formats a document (i.e.
when it determines line breaks and page breaks) it does so _for a
particular type of printer_.  If the printer type changes, the formatting
changes to match.  This is true of all the applications I know about.

If you have a document whose format you care about, you should make up
your mind what kind of printer it will be printed on.  Then if you have to
move it to another system, you should make sure that the same type of
printer software (the LaserWriter or ImageWriter II file in the System
folder) is available on the new system.  Before you open your document,
use the Chooser to select the same printer type -- it doesn't matter if
the hardware isn't there, as long as you aren't really going to print.
When you want to print, go back to a system that has the right kind of
printer.

The above is certainly not a satisfactory solution, but it will have to do
until Apple and/or the application developers provide a better one.

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!