[comp.sys.mac] Pagemaker 4.0

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (02/19/90)

> I can't believe that Pagemaker 4.0 after adding all these super high-end
> features has left out (AGAIN) two of the most basic commands found in
> practically every other "worth its salt" graphics/desktop publishing" program!

> Where's "GROUP" & "LOCK" Aldus???????

> I've called you a bunch of times on this "privately" but out of frustration
> after reading a list of announced features see you've dropped the ball AGAIN!!

> I used to call Paul Brainard when Aldus hadn't released Pagemaker yet and
> made several suggestions that were incorporated into the 1st release. Remember
> Paul?  I bought the 1st copy shipped to New Orleans.  Text & Graphics rotation
> was something else I've been asking for.  So while others give full one-degree
> incremental rotation of text and graphics (alla Design Studio), the best you
> can do is ninety degree text rotation?  Paul you'd better worry less about
> acquisitions (Silicon Beach) and get back to minding the "date that brung you"!

> Mel Shear
> !rex!fleet!mel

I am in complete sympathy with this posting.  I have been a user of Pagemaker
since it was first released and have recommended its purchase to many north-
west companies, but not without giving them a run-down of what I considered
its inadequacies.

The ability to rotate text and graphics is NOT a frill or EXTRA.  It's a
basic, frequently-used, essential component of good layout.  Currently,
Pagemaker users have to print out angled or rotated text separately and
attach them with wax and glue.  Out the window goes the whole point of
electronic publishing, which is to eliminate wax and glue.  One of the
ways graphic artists immediately and easily distinguish electronically-
published newsletters is in the lack of angular design components.

Yes, it is possible to import angular text and graphic elements created
separately with a drawing/drafting program, but I have found that high-end
output systems (Linotronic, ITEK, etc.) do not always faithfully render
the imported images.  Tones sometimes disappear, spurious lines show up...

Publish It advertises smaller code, angular margins, rotation in 1%
increments, etc.  I am currently investigating the advertising claims.  I
have 2 choices.  Wait to see if the upgrade to Pagemaker is up to snuff and
get that, or purchase Publish It, if it performs as described.  After
seeing your posting, I am leaning toward the latter.

                               J. Petersen (LadyHawke@cup.portal.com)

herbw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) (02/20/90)

Ever since support for tables was introduced in Word 4.0
(Actually, ever since I started using my Mac for Desktop Publishing),
I have been waiting for Page Layout programs to support this
feature.  I DO NOT WANT to save every table in my document as a PICT
and individually place them.  How can publishers of high end page
layout programs ignore this.  Although both PageMaker 3.02 and
XPress 2.12 claim to import Word 4.0 documents, neither can deal
with Tables.  Does Design Studio correctly handle this?  How about
Interleaf or FrameMaker?

hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) (02/20/90)

In article <27062@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
>> I can't believe that Pagemaker 4.0 after adding all these super high-end
>I am in complete sympathy with this posting.  I have been a user of Pagemaker
...text deleted...
>get that, or purchase Publish It, if it performs as described.  After
>seeing your posting, I am leaning toward the latter.

I'd advise any of you who are wondering about the PageMaker 4.0 upgrade, the
Ready,Set,Go! -> DesignStudio upgrade, or PublishIt! to wait until after
March 6th before making any purchase or upgrade decisions.

Sorry to tantalize you guys, but I can't say any more.

Robert Hammen | Technical Editor | Personal Publishing Magazine
191 S. Gary Ave. | Carol Stream, IL 60188 | (708) 462-2414
hammen@ddsw1.mcs.com | 70701.2104@compuserve.com | GEnie: R.HAMMEN

mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) (02/22/90)

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (02/25/90)

Robert Hammen writes:

>I'd advise any of you who are wondering about the PageMaker 4.0
>upgrade, the Ready,Set,Go! -> DesignStudio upgrade, or PublishIt! to
>wait until after March 6th before making any purchase or upgrade
>decisions.
>
>Sorry to tantalize you guys, but I can't say any more.

Well, the last time someone said that to me, it was Scott Gaidano of
Jasmine and he was talking about the soon-to-be-announced release of
their "NEW" drives and pricing structure--back in 1988, when they
started using RODIME mechanisms.  (I know--I bought one.  :-()

--Adam--
UUCP:                                                        Commercially:
Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG               America OnLine:  AdamFrix
(or 70721.504@compuserve.com if you wish)                   GEnie:  A.FRIX
!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix                       CIS:  70721,504

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

hpoppe@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (03/10/90)

Robert Hammen writes:

>I'd advise any of you who are wondering about the PageMaker 4.0
>upgrade, the Ready,Set,Go! -> DesignStudio upgrade, or PublishIt! to
>wait until after March 6th before making any purchase or upgrade
>decisions.
>
>Sorry to tantalize you guys, but I can't say any more.

Well, March 6 has come and gone. Its time to fess up Robert.
Let's see, March 6 was the Seybold Conference. Quark Express 3.0
was announced. Was that IT? Should we be impressed?

--
Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET