[comp.sys.mac] UltraPaint : Is it for real?

seiler@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ed Seiler) (03/06/90)

  In a previous posting, I asked if anyone had actually received a copy of
UltraPaint, Deneba's latest and greatest paint/draw program, and asked how it
differed from Canvas. I only received one response, stating that it only exists
as a beta version, and that it would probably be released by the April MacWorld
expo.

The April issue of MacUser provided a comparison to Canvas. It seems that
Canvas does have the edge when it comes to drawing : 16.7 million colors vs.
256, zoom of 32X vs. 8X, max. resolution of 2540 dpi vs. 600, unlimited # of
restackable drawing layers vs. 8 that can't be restacked, line weights up to
127 pt. vs. 10 pt., object area calculations, editable arrowheads and dashed
lines, customizable rulers, and EPSF import/export. However UltraPaint has
add-on tools ala SuperPaint and a customizable auto-trace module. Plus
UltraPaint offers numerous color painting capabilities and grey scale editing
which seemingly rivals that of Digital Darkroom and Image Studio.

MacWarehouse and MacConnection ads for UP also appeared in MacUser. Is the
product shipping yet? Has anyone sent in a version of SuperPaint + $50 and
received anything? I assume the tradein offer doesn't apply to the SuperPaint
1.1 shipped with Word 4.0, but has anyone asked? And if anyone has received a
non-beta copy, were any features added since the beta release, and how do the
color paint and grey scale capabilities compare to other programs on the
market?

It sounds like UP could be an all-in-one [oh no, not again! :-)] program that
costs less than either a b&w/color paint, grey scale image, or drawing program
alone. Or it could be just a lot of hype. Please let me know what you think.

Edward Seiler                           seiler@dftnic.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mail Code 635                           seiler@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov
Goddard Space Flight Center             (301) 286-9421
Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain"

jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) (03/06/90)

> MacWarehouse and MacConnection ads for UP also appeared in MacUser. Is the
> product shipping yet? Has anyone sent in a version of SuperPaint + $50 and
> received anything? I assume the tradein offer doesn't apply to the SuperPaint
> 1.1 shipped with Word 4.0, but has anyone asked?

I called several weeks ago ad asked.  The customer service rep put me on hold
to ask her boss, and then told me that they would accept the SuperPaint 1.1
disk that came with MS Word 4.0.  I don't know if they are sticking to that
as I haven't talked to them in February or March.

Jay Boisseau
jay@ex.utexas.edu

clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) (03/07/90)

Apparently Deneba will honor those Superpaint disks that were included
with Word 4.0. My girlfriend who has a copy called an inquired.

Chris

In article <25615@ut-emx.UUCP> jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:
>> MacWarehouse and MacConnection ads for UP also appeared in MacUser. Is the
>> product shipping yet? Has anyone sent in a version of SuperPaint + $50 and
>> received anything? I assume the tradein offer doesn't apply to the SuperPaint
>> 1.1 shipped with Word 4.0, but has anyone asked?
>
>I called several weeks ago ad asked.  The customer service rep put me on hold
>to ask her boss, and then told me that they would accept the SuperPaint 1.1
>disk that came with MS Word 4.0.  I don't know if they are sticking to that

BTW. Did that SuperPaint come directly on the 4.0 disk, with docs? We ordered
three copies of word and non of them came with any mention of SuperPaint, even
though MacConnection's Ads said they included it.
| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 |   Home: 617/641-3805   |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. |                        |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |   BBS:  617/641-3722   |

seiler@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ed Seiler) (03/10/90)

In article <1085@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, seiler@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ed Seiler) writes...

>  In a previous posting, I asked if anyone had actually received a copy of
>UltraPaint, Deneba's latest and greatest paint/draw program, and asked how it
>differed from Canvas. I only received one response, stating that it only exists
>as a beta version, and that it would probably be released by the April MacWorld
>expo...

I still haven't heard from anyone who has gotten their hands on a copy. One
reply said that a Mac mail order house has only received a picture of the box
so far. There are reports that the SuperPaint 1.1 included with Word 4.0 (which
is no longer include BTW) is acceptable for the upgrade offer. I assume that
MacWeek will tell me when it finally begins shipping.