[comp.sys.mac] Question about BinHex 4.0

hemstree@handel.cs.colostate.edu (charles he hemstreet) (03/01/90)

I have seen lots of stuff in Comp.Binaries.Mac that look programs.
They all say that they need BinHex 4.0.   Can someone tell me what
BinHex 4.0 is and what does it do?  Where can i get a copy?

Charles H. Hemstreet IV
Colorado State University
Computer Science

internet: hemstree@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu

dnewman@ut-emx.UUCP (Dave Newman) (03/02/90)

You can get Binhex 4.0 from Sumex-aim, OR if you have Stuffit 1.5.1,
it includes Binhex 4.0 capability.

>>Dave

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/02/90)

In an article of <1 Mar 90 01:41:13 GMT>, hemstree@handel.cs.colostate.edu
(charles he hemstreet) writes:

 ch>I have seen lots of stuff in Comp.Binaries.Mac that look programs.
 ch>They all say that they need BinHex 4.0.   Can someone tell me what
 ch>BinHex 4.0 is and what does it do?  Where can i get a copy?

BinHex5 would be a better choice.  Mac files differ from DOS files in that they
consist of two parts - a Data Fork and a Resource Fork. Unless these two are
linked before transmission - parts of the file can be lost.  BinHex (and
MacBinary) accomplish this by converting the file into a text file.  Software
that has the MacBinary protocol will re-convert automatically otherwise the
file has to be run through BinHex5 (4 was the earlier version).  If you have
StuffIt, it has an option to convert BinHex4 (not 5) files.  Getting BinHex5 is
difficult unless your software has MacBinary - because if you download BinHex5
it will need to be run through itself in order to work.

The solution is to get a copy of BinHex5.bas which is a BASIC program which
will make BinHex5 for you.  The only BBS that has THAT program (that I know of)
is EyeNet 1-602-941-3747 (114/14). OR have someone mail you a copy of BinHex on
a disk.

Leo Bores

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (03/07/90)

In <13766.25EDFFE1@stjhmc.fidonet.org>, Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org
(Leo Bores) seems to imply that BinHex 5.0 is in some sense a substitute
for BinHex 4.0.

It isn't.

BinHex 5.0 is a program for converting Macintosh files to and from
MacBinary format, to allow their storage on non-Macintosh file systems.
MacBinary is *not* a printable text-only format, so it is not suitable
for transmission through e-mail systems or USENET.

BinHex 4.0, on the other hand, converts Mac files to a format that,
even if it looks somewhat random, is nevertheless printable, and should
make it through mailers OK, subject only to limitations on total
message length.

BinHex 5.0 shouldn't have been called "BinHex"--MacBinary format doesn't
have anything to do with hex.

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (03/07/90)

In article <13766.25EDFFE1@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Leo Bores writes:
>In an article of <1 Mar 90 01:41:13 GMT> charles he hemstreet writes:
>
> ch>I have seen lots of stuff in Comp.Binaries.Mac that look programs.
> ch>They all say that they need BinHex 4.0.   Can someone tell me what
> ch>BinHex 4.0 is and what does it do?  Where can i get a copy?
>
>BinHex5 would be a better choice.

While BinHex 5.0 will convert the ascii text in comp.binaries.mac, it will
NOT go the other way and convert a Macintosh file into ascii text.  Another
important difference is that BinHex 5.0 is shareware, while BinHex 4.0 is
freeware.

The only feature that BinHex 5.0 has that you will probably never need is
splitting a MacBinary file received from another system into its resource and
data forks.  These days, most modem programs understand MacBinary, and split
the file automatically when they receive it.

Thus BinHex 5.0 is of very little use, and BinHex 4.0 is actually what you
want.  StuffIt, another useful piece of software if you hope to make use of
comp.binaries.mac stuff, has had a BinHex 4.0 conversion utility in it for
the last few versions, so you may be able to do without BinHex 4.0 at all.
--
	Roger L. Long
	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/10/90)

In an article of <7 Mar 90 06:22:44 GMT>, ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence
D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:

 LD>BinHex 5.0 is a program for converting Macintosh files to and from
 LD>MacBinary format, to allow their storage on non-Macintosh file systems.
 LD>MacBinary is *not* a printable text-only format, so it is not suitable
 LD>for transmission through e-mail systems or USENET.
 LD>
 LD>BinHex 4.0, on the other hand, converts Mac files to a format that,
 LD>even if it looks somewhat random, is nevertheless printable, and should
 LD>make it through mailers OK, subject only to limitations on total
 LD>message length.
 LD>
 LD>BinHex 5.0 shouldn't have been called "BinHex"--MacBinary format
 LD>doesn't
 LD>have anything to do with hex.

Aha! Very informative. Thank you. I have been mislead by various folks
including MacUser. I hadn't considered that because such files get tossed
around FidoNet with relative impunity. I was under the impression that BinHex5
was an upgrade of BinHex4 to include the MacBinary format.

Leo Bores