[comp.sys.mac] PMMU deal from Harvey Mudd College

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (03/09/90)

[ngo@tammy.harvard.edu (Tom Ngo) writes:]
[]     Does anyone out there remember the deal for cheap PMMUs put
[]     together by Tad Blakeley at Harvey Mudd College?  I sent in my
[]     $170 check, and haven't received or heard anything yet.  A brief
[]     history:
[]	   Aug 89: I sent in my $170 check.
[]	13 Sep 89: Tad asked for new checks to replace the old ones,
[]		   which were incorrectly addressed to HMCMUG.

it was at this point that i backed out of that deal. tad assured me that
he would destroy the check. i backed out because i got a better offer,
however, i've been wondering if i should have just sent tad a SASE
asking that the check be returned to me. i figured that there were 50
or so names (some prominent) on the list and so a "scam" would only
involve ~ $8,500, not worth the trouble. perhaps a recall is in order
since PMMU's can be had commercially for $169.00 from, for example,
Tercom: 1-800-544-9543 or 1-800-669-7555
6920 Roosevelt Way NE
Suite #193
Seattle WA 98115

and they accept charge cards, etc...

is there _anyone_ from HMCMUG or HMC who can shed light on this?

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

dwade@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Doug Wade) (03/09/90)

In article <HAIRSTON.90Mar8134532@henry.ece.cmu.edu> hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
[reference to a PMMU deal originating at HMC that appears to have fizzled out
for whatever reason]
>it was at this point that i backed out of that deal. tad assured me that
>he would destroy the check. i backed out because i got a better offer,
>however, i've been wondering if i should have just sent tad a SASE
>asking that the check be returned to me. i figured that there were 50
>or so names (some prominent) on the list and so a "scam" would only
>involve ~ $8,500, not worth the trouble. perhaps a recall is in order
>since PMMU's can be had commercially for $169.00 from, for example,
>[address deleted]
>is there _anyone_ from HMCMUG or HMC who can shed light on this?
>
>  -dave-
>hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

	I'd just like to point out that when you post things of this nature
on a national network, you should say that you did not receive a canceled
check from your bank or other form of statement showing that the check was
cashed.  You're implying a criminal act with no real proof.  As it stands,
if you're really worried you can just cancel the check at the bank.  Even
the banks that charge don't charge more than $.50 (Unless mine is
unusual)

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (03/09/90)

In article <HAIRSTON.90Mar8134532@henry.ece.cmu.edu> hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
>[ngo@tammy.harvard.edu (Tom Ngo) writes:]
>[]     Does anyone out there remember the deal for cheap PMMUs put
>[]     together by Tad Blakeley at Harvey Mudd College?  I sent in my
>[]     $170 check, and haven't received or heard anything yet.  A brief
>[]     history:
>[]	   Aug 89: I sent in my $170 check.
>[]	13 Sep 89: Tad asked for new checks to replace the old ones,
>[]		   which were incorrectly addressed to HMCMUG.
>
>it was at this point that i backed out of that deal. tad assured me that
>he would destroy the check. i backed out because i got a better offer,
>however, i've been wondering if i should have just sent tad a SASE
>asking that the check be returned to me. i figured that there were 50
>or so names (some prominent) on the list and so a "scam" would only
>involve ~ $8,500, not worth the trouble.

... stuff deleted

>is there _anyone_ from HMCMUG or HMC who can shed light on this?

Hi there.

  Although I am not in a position to speak for Tad, I have worked with him
on several occasions and know him pretty well.

  This PMMU deal was definitely handled badly, no question.  However, I feel
comfortable stating unequivocally that Tad had no intention to defraud
anyone at any time and was just in over his head.

  I feel bad that Harvey Mudd's image had to be tarnished by this incident
but I am pretty sure that no checks were cashed.  Tad is an honest person,
although he seems to have shrunk back a little from this matter.  In any
case, if there are still checks outstanding for that deal, I recommend that
you just stop payment and don't worry anymore, because nobody will try to
cash them.

-- Mark Wilkins
   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (03/09/90)

[hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston, me!) writes:]
[] is there _anyone_ from HMCMUG or HMC who can shed light on {the PMMU deal}

[wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:]
[] This PMMU deal was definitely handled badly, no question.  However, I feel
[] comfortable stating unequivocally that Tad had no intention to defraud
[] anyone at any time and was just in over his head.

thanx, mark.

fyi: stopping payment on a check can be as expensive as $20.00
      i.e. non-trivial but it shouldn't be necessary. i can say that
      my check was never cashed, however i was concerned. a _little_
      communication can go a long way towards avoiding problems.

okay, back to mac stuff ...

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

mblakele@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tad Blakeley) (03/11/90)

In article <5037@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>In article <HAIRSTON.90Mar8134532@henry.ece.cmu.edu> hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
>>[ngo@tammy.harvard.edu (Tom Ngo) writes:]
>>[]     Does anyone out there remember the deal for cheap PMMUs put
>... stuff deleted
>>is there _anyone_ from HMCMUG or HMC who can shed light on this?
>  Although I am not in a position to speak for Tad, I have worked with him
>on several occasions and know him pretty well.
>  This PMMU deal was definitely handled badly, no question.  However, I feel
>comfortable stating unequivocally that Tad had no intention to defraud
>anyone at any time and was just in over his head.
>  I feel bad that Harvey Mudd's image had to be tarnished by this incident
>but I am pretty sure that no checks were cashed.  Tad is an honest person,
>although he seems to have shrunk back a little from this matter.  In any
>case, if there are still checks outstanding for that deal, I recommend that
>you just stop payment and don't worry anymore, because nobody will try to
>cash them.
>
>-- Mark Wilkins
>   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu

        Thanks for the confidence, Mark.  I did get in over my head, and
probably haven't taken the right steps to correct it.
        I gave up on a group buy from Motorola, mostly because PMMUs
suddenly became available just as cheaply from other sources.  For those
who don't get MacLeak, here are a couple:
Third Wave Computing    1-800-284-0486
Tercom                  1-800-544-9543 or 669-7555
        If any of you who were in on the order still have problems or
questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail me.  I'm on break right now,
so I should have time to breathe.  Meanwhile, I hope we can end this
thread, so the entire Internet doesn't have to carry a discussion for
ten or fifteen people.
                                        -- tad

.
--
~   ...[physicists] who aren't actually dead are in some way very ill.       S
W						-- D. Adams	    	     T