[comp.sys.mac] Macintalk

lamp2@ihlpa.UUCP (Roberts) (01/06/87)

[]

Last night I was trying out the MacStartup that was posted to the
net.  I read the documentation which said place MacinTalk in the
directory and the thing will talk.  Well I found MacinTalk somewhere
and sure enough the thing talks.  Now I have become curious and am
seeking answers to the following:

  1)  What is MacinTalk?  It does not appear to be a stand alone
      application.

  2)  Where can I find information which will inform me of how I
      can use MacinTalk in my own applications?

  3)  Is this thing "plug-able"?  Can I replace it with another
      MacinTalk and have a feminine voice?  Are there such things
      around or I am stuck with this voice (each Mac should have
      its own unique voice)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

                                  Ken Heitke
                                  ihnp4!ihlpe!kah120

brian@daimi.UUCP (02/09/87)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: MacinTalk
Expires:
not just American so we need to know exactly where the waveforms for the
individual letters are kept(so we can replace them by other waveforms).We have
written to Apple ,but they say that noone supports Macintalk anymore.We would
be grateful if anyone can help,tell of their experiences for Macintalk in
other languages.......   Brian Mayoh

cc@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/19/87)

In answer to your question regarding phoneme waveforms in Macintalk,
there are none.  The phonemes are generated algorithmically from parameters.
Replacing the phoneme inventory by substituting new parameters (there are
about a dozen for each phoneme) can be done, but the results will not be
satisfactory. This is because phonemes do not exist in isolation.  Although
each phoneme in Macintalk is initially described by a few parameters, there
are literally hundreds of phonological rules which are applied to the phoneme
string to modify these parameters given some phonemic context.  In addition,
there are sentence/utterance level supersegmentals (such as pitch contour)
which differ from language to language.  Clearly, Macintalk is designed to
handle American English; trying to modify it to handle other languages is
possible, but reasonable results will only happen with an holistic approach.
Also, don't forget that the Reader program would have to be modified to
correctly translate a foreign language's orthography to a phoneme string.

Regarding your second comment about Apple's lack of support for Macintalk,
alas this is true.  Apple does not want to support Macintalk because they
don't have source code.  When we originally contracted with Apple, they were
offered an exclusive and source code license which they declined.  Now they
complain.  We (Mark Barton and I, the authors of Macintalk) are currently
talking to Apple regarding an arrangement whereby we will support Macintalk.
Hopefully, we can come to some deal on this as I personally would like to see
Macintalk fully supported.

To those of you out there trying to get Macintalk to speak a foreign language,
I wish you luck, but remember: the phoneme inventory is a very small part of a
language.  The real work is in developing the necessary phonological rules to
handle transitions, durations, phoneme transformations, pitch contour, etc,
etc, etc.

han@apple.UUCP (Byron Han) (11/24/87)

The current version of Macintalk is 1.31 (7/29/87) which supports
68020 machines.

It is available from APDA.  The disk includes a MPW tool to "say" files
along with some examples and interface files.

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/*  NOTE: I am _NOT_ an Apple representative.  All statements and opinions  */
/* are my own and are _not_ to be construed as any official Apple position. */
/* Byron B. Han                 UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!han */
/* Apple Computer, Inc.        CSNET: han@apple.csnet                       */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave MS 27Y    GENIE: BYRONHAN         CSERVE: 72167,1664   */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014        ATTNet: 408-973-6450  APPLELINK: HAN1         */
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

ZSQY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET (03/04/88)

I'm trying to find the latest version of Macintalk (I think it's 1.31 or
something), but it doesn't seem to be at sumex-aim or macserve@pucc.  Is
there someplace I can the file via anonymous ftp or bitnet?
                                                Thanks a lot
                                                Phil Gross
                                                zsqy@crnlvax5.bitnet
                                                zsqy@vax5.ccs.cornell.edu

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (03/10/88)

>I'm trying to find the latest version of Macintalk (I think it's 1.31 or
>something), but it doesn't seem to be at sumex-aim or macserve@pucc.  Is

This question seems to come up every two weeks (after the previous one has
expired). Macintalk is software owned by Apple. In order for anyone to
distribute it, they have to sign a license agreement with Apple. On-line
services like Compu$erve, GEnie, and Delphi, and users groups such as
BMUG and BCS (among others) have signed such license agreements and are
able to distribute the software. However, since Usenet or the various
Bitnet/ARPAnet archive sites aren't formal organizations (and probably
can't or wouldn't generate the cash needed to pay the license fee), Apple
software (like the System, Finder, Switcher, ResEdit) can't be distributed
there. Your only solution to the matter is:

1) find a local users group. See if they are licensed to distribute the
software.
2) find a local BBS. Ditto.
3) order it from BMUG - for example, they're distributing Macintalk 1.31
with their Fall/Winter issue of the newsletter (recently distributed to
members at MacWorld SF). They also distribute the System Tools 5.0 release
for $8 (this doesn't get you the docs, but you do get the 4 disks). BMUG
has a usenet address - well!bmug for those interested.
4) order it from APDA (you have to be a member to do so - $20/yr.)
5) get an account on CI$, GEnie or Delphi. System Software is in the main
areas, programming tools are in the developer areas (usually).

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/ Robert Hammen		Computer Applications	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu /
/ Delphi: HAMMEN	GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104		  /
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

jaynoh@madnix.UUCP (Jay Noh) (05/03/89)

Can some kind soul out there tell me where or how I can get MacinTalk
to go with Talking Moose? Apparently I downloaded Talking Moose without
MacinTalk.

Anon FTP addresses would help too.

Thanks.
--
  UUCP:   ...!{ucbvax, ...}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jaynoh
  CIS:    72437,1040

hv@chyde.uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (05/04/89)

In article <645@madnix.UUCP>, jaynoh@madnix.UUCP (Jay Noh) writes:
> Can some kind soul out there tell me where or how I can get MacinTalk
> to go with Talking Moose? Apparently I downloaded Talking Moose without
> MacinTalk.
>
> Anon FTP addresses would help too.

Anonymous FTP address like 128.214.12.3 should help you. Directory is
/pub/mac/init--
	Harri Valkama			: email:  hv@chyde.uwasa.fi
Computer Centre, University of Vaasa	: voice:  +358 61 248426 (work)
	P.O.BOX 700			: 	  +358 61 127150 (home)
	SF-65101 VAASA FINLAND

mstuard@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Stuard) (05/10/89)

In article <489@chyde.uwasa.fi>, hv@chyde.uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
> In article <645@madnix.UUCP>, jaynoh@madnix.UUCP (Jay Noh) writes:
> > Can some kind soul out there tell me where or how I can get MacinTalk
> Anonymous FTP address like 128.214.12.3 should help you. Directory is
> /pub/mac/init--

On a similar topic, is there a program that will take a text file and speak it
using the Macintalk driver,  any pointers, ideas, or FTP addresses would be
great.
mike

--
 Deviant  disclaimer: OOP! ACK! DON'T PANIC, It's not that important anyhow.
                  /-> mstuard @ ace.cs.OHIOU.EDU

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (05/10/89)

In article <591@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> mstuard@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Stuard) writes:
#>In article <489@chyde.uwasa.fi>, hv@chyde.uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
#>> In article <645@madnix.UUCP>, jaynoh@madnix.UUCP (Jay Noh) writes:
#>> > Can some kind soul out there tell me where or how I can get MacinTalk
#>> Anonymous FTP address like 128.214.12.3 should help you. Directory is
#>> /pub/mac/init--
#>
#>On a similar topic, is there a program that will take a text file and speak it
#>using the Macintalk driver,  any pointers, ideas, or FTP addresses would be
#>great.

There is a desk accessory called MacTalker (I got it somewhere
for free) which takes typed in text and turns it into speak
with Macintalk. I think it came from BMUG, perhaps with one of
their newsletters.

Steve Goldfield

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (05/11/89)

<#>
<
<There is a desk accessory called MacTalker (I got it somewhere
<for free) which takes typed in text and turns it into speak
<with Macintalk. I think it came from BMUG, perhaps with one of
<their newsletters.

From the MacWarehouse catalog:

"SmoothTalker converts Mac text and numbers into spoken language, using the
Mac's sound generator and speaker."

Price is $33.

Both MacWarehouse and MacConnection advertise it as not copy protected.
I'm still not sure I believe that. It is not one of the products that
offers a money back guarantee through MacConnection. The publisher differs
depending upon which ad you read (Electronic Arts or First Byte).

Shirley Kehr

mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) (05/13/89)

	"SmoothTalker" is indeed not copy protected, although it was in
	it may be woth it to see if it can do what you want. However,
	don't expect too much for $33.00..

riem@ztivax.UUCP (Raimund Riem) (11/10/89)

Has someone a version of MacinTalk for the
MacII and exist there also a version for
other languages?

Please send me a mail

riem@ztivax.uucp

garym@telesoft.com (Gary Morris @nova) (11/15/89)

In article <861@ztivax.UUCP>, riem@ztivax.UUCP (Raimund Riem) writes:
> Has someone a version of MacinTalk for the MacII and ...

I'm looking for a MacII Macintalk also.  Peter Jorgensen posted that one
existed in "the" archives but I can't find it in the only archives I have
access to (Rice).  Anyone know where it can be found?  Or if you have a copy
you can mail me, please let me know.  Or an email address for Paul Mercer
(who updated it for the Mac II).

Thanks,
--GaryM
--
Gary Morris      {uunet,ucsd}!telesoft!garym       TeleSoft
N6FRT            garym@telesoft.com                San Diego, CA, USA

carlo@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (02/14/90)

I have a feeling macintalk ought to allow me to type in text and
have the mac speak it somehow, though that's all I know about macintalk.
Is this right? If so, is macintalk supposed to work on a IIci? I played
around with the macintalk stack on sumex, with no success. Is there any
other PD/Shareware prog that will allow me to do this? Maybe e-mail is
appropriate for answers to this, probably a very naive question.
Thanks in advance,
Carlo.

PS: what is Tattle Tale and how do I use it? Is this related to the above?

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (02/16/90)

For latest rev of Talking Moose, send $20 to author:
Steve Halls
#303-3837 Luther Place
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
CANADA  S7H 4B1

Talking Moose includes MacinTalk.
It allows you to type in plain or phonetic text and it will speak it.
Includes Moose Proof DA, for proof reading.
And best of all:  allows you to install personality into your mac in the
person of a little talking moose that can do such totally wonderful
things as speaking menu selections or, when machine is idle, pop up with
amazing random sayings.  ;)

-Drew Wade
drew@objy.com

abdenour@mist.cs.orst.edu (Abdennour A. MOUSSAOUI) (03/08/90)

What is MacinTalk? I got MacinTalk stack from sumex, it doesn't want
to work, there is no doc. only three stacks. In one of the stacks
it talks about a Macintalk file or driver that has to be in the sys. folder
what is it? is it shareware or distributed by apple? available from sumex?

I have a IIci, in case that makes a difference, because Smoothtalker
works on the SE but on mine, I don't know why etheir!

--
Abdennour Moussaoui              || _~_~_      Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (03/11/90)

This is a round-about way, and costs $20, but will get you Macintalk:
#303-3837 Luther Place
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan