[comp.sys.mac] Does adding 3rd party memory void mac warranty?

mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) (03/10/90)

I'm putting together a Mac lab of 18 SE/30's and 2 Mac IIci's.
Rather than paying $1399/4MB for memory, I'm looking at ~$350/4MB
via some mail order firm.  Does adding this memory void the Macs'
warranty?  What if an apple dealer installed it?

Anyone with experience in this area?

Thanks,
-- michael
Michael McGuffey, Senior Software Applications Analyst
Phone:    304/696-3212			University Computer Center
FAX:      304/696-3601			Marshall University
BITNET:   mcguffey@muvms3		Huntington, WV 25755-5320
Internet: mcguffey%muvms3@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

mike@Apple.COM (Michael Lee) (03/11/90)

In article <14471@muvms3.bitnet> mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) writes:
>I'm putting together a Mac lab of 18 SE/30's and 2 Mac IIci's.
>Rather than paying $1399/4MB for memory, I'm looking at ~$350/4MB
>via some mail order firm.  Does adding this memory void the Macs'
>warranty?  What if an apple dealer installed it?

Installing 3rd party memory will not void the Apple warranty.  However, it is
advised that you have an authorized Apple service center install the simms.  It
is real easy to snap the simm holders or accidentally zap the logic board by
way of electrostatic discharge.  If the simm holders break, the warranty is
automatically voided because of abuse, and the logic board wil have to be
replaced at cost.

Also, be sure the memory for the Macintosh IIci is at least 80ns, and for the
SE30 at least 120ns.

Michael Lee
Technical Customer Relations

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (03/11/90)

>Also, be sure the memory for the Macintosh IIci is at least 80ns, and for the
                                                    ^^^^^^^^
>SE30 at least 120ns.
      ^^^^^^^^

at most.