[comp.sys.mac] printing color gif pictures

theorem@blake.acs.washington.edu (Adrian Mariano) (03/10/90)

I have some pictures in GIF format on an SE/30 that I would like to print out
on an ImageWriter II which has a color ribbon.  Unfortunately, all
the programs I have used to convert the GIFs to formats readable by
Pagemaker or other printing programs have thrown out the color information.
Can anybody tell me how to convert the GIF to a printable format WITHOUT
loosing the color information?  (I have almost no experience with
Macintoshes.)

Please reply in E-mail.

--

Adrian Mariano                theorem@blake.acs.washington.edu

--

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/10/90)

In article <6197@blake.acs.washington.edu> theorem@blake.acs.washington.edu (Adrian Mariano) writes:
>I have some pictures in GIF format on an SE/30 that I would like to print out
>on an ImageWriter II which has a color ribbon.  Unfortunately, all

  The person who posted the question asked for a reply in email, which I'm
sending, but I thought it might be of general interest.  GIFConverter prints
to the ImageWriter II, and maintains the color.  I've done it myself.  I've
never actually tried with GIFConverter 2.0 (I used 1.2), since I got a
DeskWriter before I upgraded.  It should work, and if you purchase 2.0 you get
the 1.4 release anyway.

  Just another plug for GIFConverter, which was never run to comp.binaries.mac
because of all the griping....  Find somebody who has access to CompuServe or
Amierica Online...

--Mike

derosa@cell.mot.COM (John DeRosa) (03/13/90)

theorem@blake.acs.washington.edu (Adrian Mariano) writes:

>I have some pictures in GIF format on an SE/30 that I would like to print out
>on an ImageWriter II which has a color ribbon.  Unfortunately, all
>the programs I have used to convert the GIFs to formats readable by
>Pagemaker or other printing programs have thrown out the color information.

I ran into this same problem (only printing on a QMS color postscript
printer).  The solution was to use PixelPaint V2.0 or Studio/8.  They
use the color information imbedding the the pict document that Giffer
produces.   Let me know
how it goes
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =
=                   e-mail: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =