[comp.sys.mac] MacsBug

jay@utastro.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) (12/14/88)

This is probably a pretty stupid question, but here goes:

How can I get Macsbug the auto-black DA and Macsbug the debugger to work at
the same time?  Changing the name of one doesn't seem to do the trick...

You can mail the answer to me personally if you want, at jay@astro.as.utexas.edu
Thanks.

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (12/14/88)

>This is probably a pretty stupid question, but here goes:

>How can I get Macsbug the auto-black DA and Macsbug the debugger to work at
>the same time?  Changing the name of one doesn't seem to do the trick...

Try naming one of them "Disassembler".

>You can mail the answer to me personally if you want, at jay@astro.as.utexas.edu
>Thanks.
>----------

Well, this is easier, and someone else might be curious...

Bob Hablutzel		BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (12/14/88)

In article <3468@utastro.UUCP> jay@utastro.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:
#How can I get Macsbug the auto-black DA and Macsbug the debugger to work at
#the same time?  Changing the name of one doesn't seem to do the trick...
#
Name auto-black 'macsbug' and name macsbug 'disassembler'. That will
do it.

Bill Jefferys

--
Glend.	I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hot.	Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you

xmjschm@hscfvax.harvard.edu (MJSchmelzer) (12/14/88)

In article <3468@utastro.UUCP> jay@utastro.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:
>How can I get Macsbug the auto-black DA and Macsbug the debugger to work at
>the same time?  Changing the name of one doesn't seem to do the trick...

Simply rename Auto-black 'disassembler' (or rename Macsbug, I'm not
sure which one you rename, but it IS important.)

--
==============  xmjschm@harvspha.BITNET =============    "Your soul is mine,
Mike Schmelzer  xmjschm@hscfvax.harvard.edu               fork it over."

jholland@uvicctr.UUCP (jholland) (12/17/88)

In article <3468@utastro.UUCP> jay@utastro.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:
>How can I get Macsbug the auto-black DA and Macsbug the debugger to work at
>the same time?  Changing the name of one doesn't seem to do the trick...

To do this, you would rename Macsbug to Disassembler, and Auto-Black to Macsbug.

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (12/17/88)

In article <3468@utastro.UUCP> jay@utastro.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:
>This is probably a pretty stupid question, but here goes:
>
>How can I get Macsbug the auto-black DA and Macsbug the debugger to work at
>the same time?  Changing the name of one doesn't seem to do the trick...

 What version of Macsbug-the-debugger are you using? When I switched to
Macsbug 6.x from Macsbug 5.4 (also known as Macsbug 5.5, or Macsbug-the-
Mandelbrot-Set-Program), I discovered that renaming Macsbug-the-debugger
"Disassembler" no longer worked. Presumably, this is because it accesses
the Macsbug file on disk for certain resources (the user-defined macro
stuff, which I haven't really gotten into yet).

 With Macsbug 5.4 and previous versions, you could rename the AutoBlack
INIT "Macsbug", and the real Macsbug "Disassembler", and they would
coexist (only on a 512/Plus/SE, of course).

 FadeToBlack 3.0, which recently came over comp.binaries.mac, is the
only other screensaver I've seen which is the functional equivalent
of AutoBlack (actually, it's quite a bit nicer), using the alternate
screen for drawing & instant updates. But my hard drive spends time
occasionally connected to a Mac II, which means instant death for Auto
Black and FadeToBlack... if you only run on a Plus, FadeToBlack might
be a better choice than AutoBlack...

 Now if FadeToBlack could only be a standalone INIT and not have to
mess with the System file... :-(

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu

chma@iceman.jcu.oz (Michael Antolovich) (03/12/90)

Hi,
   I obtained MacsBug (Version 5.4?) packaged with LightSpeed Pascal (2.0).
Now, is MacsBug "free", I mean can I get version 6.? from somebody and
not break any taboos ?  (What I really mean is "can somebody send me a
copy of the latest MacsBug that works on a IIci please ?)  If this is a
no no, who do I get it from and how many legs will it cost me ?
							Thanks,
							Michael.

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (03/13/90)

In article <549@iceman.jcu.oz> chma@iceman.jcu.oz (Michael Antolovich) writes:
|Hi,
|   I obtained MacsBug (Version 5.4?) packaged with LightSpeed Pascal (2.0).
|Now, is MacsBug "free", I mean can I get version 6.? from somebody and
|not break any taboos ?  (What I really mean is "can somebody send me a
|copy of the latest MacsBug that works on a IIci please ?)  If this is a
|no no, who do I get it from and how many legs will it cost me ?

The only official source I am certain of is APDA.

However, THINK appears to be licensed to distribute it, so they ought
to be able to include (or upgrade you to) a version current enough to
run on the machines their product runs on.

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."