[comp.sys.mac] Wanted - reasonable Mac II

douglas@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Douglas Mason) (03/08/90)

I would like to purchase a used Macintosh II system.  It must have color and
I would prefer 4 megs of ram and an 80meg drive although variations of the
above (more, less) could be acceptable.

Since I am a student, the rate seems to be about $4000 for a IIcx with the
student discounts.  Please keep this in mind and price accordingly.  That
price would be with the 4meg ram 80meg HD.

-Douglas Mason

--
Douglas T. Mason | douglas@ddsw1.UUCP or dtmason@m-net |

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (03/11/90)

>I would like to purchase a used Macintosh II system.  It must have color and
>I would prefer 4 megs of ram and an 80meg drive although variations of the
>above (more, less) could be acceptable.
>
>Since I am a student, the rate seems to be about $4000 for a IIcx with the
>student discounts.  Please keep this in mind and price accordingly.  That
>price would be with the 4meg ram 80meg HD.
>

>-Douglas Mason

There is absolutely no way you could buy a new IIcx with 4 megs, 80MB
hard disk, monitor, videocard, and keyboard for $4000.  At CMU, it
almost costs $4000 for the CPU alone!!  I don't know what you are trying
to pull, but people aren't that stupid!

Len Schultz

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (03/11/90)

In article <gZyO4UK00Uh_A1K7Mw@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
>There is absolutely no way you could buy a new IIcx with 4 megs, 80MB
>hard disk, monitor, videocard, and keyboard for $4000.  At CMU, it
>almost costs $4000 for the CPU alone!!  I don't know what you are trying
>to pull, but people aren't that stupid!

I don't think the original poster meant that the whole deal was $4000 (if
so, it's definitely too low), but your $4000 looks high to me.

I have right here in my hands an ad for a IIcx with a 40MB hard disk
and 2MB of RAM for $3795 (MacWorld, March 1990, page 284).  The next page
has an ad for the same machine at $3869.

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (03/11/90)

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
> There is absolutely no way you could buy a new IIcx with 4 megs, 80MB hard
> disk, monitor, videocard, and keyboard for $4000.  At CMU, it almost costs
> $4000 for the CPU alone!!  I don't know what you are trying to pull, but
> people aren't that stupid!

	Maybe not $4000, but certainly under $5000.  If CMU is selling a bare
cx CPU for $4000, they are ripping off their students.  In New York, you can
get a II-cx CPU (with 1 Meg) for $2850.  From looking in the MacWeek ads, you
can get a Quantum-80 for $700 and 4 Meg of ram for $250.  Add a keyboard for
$100 and you're up to $3900.  You'll be hard pressed to get a monitor for
$100, but you can probably swing one for $700 or so (not sure about color).
If you are willing to compromise, you might be able to outfit a machine with
a 40 meg drive for a couple $100 less, and maybe instead of 4 (really 5) meg
of ram, settle for picking up 4 256k SIMMs real cheap for a total of 2 meg
(not as good as 4, but still enough to run 2 or 3 typical applications under
multifinder).  I still don't see it comming in for $4000 with all you desire,
but you should be able to do $4500 if you compromise a bit.

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (03/12/90)

In article <1990Mar11.055235.549@phri.nyu.edu> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>	Maybe not $4000, but certainly under $5000.  If CMU is selling a bare
>cx CPU for $4000, they are ripping off their students.  In New York, you can

	No reason they should stop now! :-)

R. (formerly of CMU)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When someone who makes four hundred and fifty dollars an hour wants to
tell you something for free, it's a good idea to listen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (03/12/90)

Smith) writes:

> 	Maybe not $4000, but certainly under $5000.  If CMU is selling a bare
> cx CPU for $4000, they are ripping off their students.  In New York, you can
> get a II-cx CPU (with 1 Meg) for $2850.  From looking in the MacWeek ads, you

Are we all talking about the same thing? $2850 is about right for the student
price of a bare 1M machine, but $4000 sounds about standard for a CPU+4M+80HD.

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (03/13/90)

In article <gZyO4UK00Uh_A1K7Mw@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:

>There is absolutely no way you could buy a new IIcx with 4 megs, 80MB
>hard disk, monitor, videocard, and keyboard for $4000.  At CMU, it
>almost costs $4000 for the CPU alone!!

Well, here's my two bits worth to fuel the fire.  This is what we pay at
SUNY Oswego - if someone knows where to get it cheaper, let me know since
I'm thinking about getting one....

  Mac IIcx CPU..............$2988.00
  Mac IIcx/HD40.............$3436.00
  Mac IIcx/HD80/4MB.........$4524.00
  Ext Keyboard...............$160.30
  Video Card.................$349.30
  Mono Monitor...............$279.30
  Color Monitor..............$699.30

Based on this, using non-Apple RAM and disk, I'd say you could come close
to $4000 for a 1MB/40MB Monochrome IIcx system, but a 4MB/80MB color system
would be over $5000....

--- Boyd Ostroff - Tech Director - Dept of Theatre - SUNY Oswego --
--- The CallBoard System - (315) 947-6414 1200/2400 baud --
--- !rochester!kodak!gizzmo!cboard!ostroff --
--- ostroff@oswego.oswego.edu --

chungs@sun.acs.udel.edu (Sung Chung) (03/13/90)

In article <1990Mar11.053102.23901@smsc.sony.com> dce@Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>In article <gZyO4UK00Uh_A1K7Mw@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
>>There is absolutely no way you could buy a new IIcx with 4 megs, 80MB
>>hard disk, monitor, videocard, and keyboard for $4000.  At CMU, it
>>almost costs $4000 for the CPU alone!!  I don't know what you are trying
>>to pull, but people aren't that stupid!
>
>I don't think the original poster meant that the whole deal was $4000 (if
>so, it's definitely too low), but your $4000 looks high to me.
>
>I have right here in my hands an ad for a IIcx with a 40MB hard disk
>and 2MB of RAM for $3795 (MacWorld, March 1990, page 284).  The next page
>has an ad for the same machine at $3869.

I think it should be pointed out that the cx in question was the cx with
4 megs and 80 meg hard drive.  The ads that David are quoting do sell the cx
with 2megs of ram and a 40 meg hard drive for $3795 and $3869 respectively,
but the same ads also advertise their cx with 4 megs of ram and 80 meg
hard drive for $4695 and $5089.  Even with educational discounts, $4000
for a cx with 4 and 80 would be the hard to find at campus dealers.

Now this is for the apple configuration with apple memory and apple hard
drive.  A bare bones cx with one meg of ram and no hard drive could be
had for less then $3000 dollars from discounters or from educational
dealers, and third party memory and third party hard drive added, but of
course you wouldn't getting real apple products:-).

____
Sung Chung
chungs@vax1.acs.udel.edu

*Stand Disclaimer: Sometimes, I don't even represent myself.