[comp.sys.mac] Sorry, I cannot send the Macintosh Hard drive article

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/13/90)

I like to apologize to all those people who sent me requests for the copy of
the Computer Shopper article, but I was informed that this generosity will
result in getting my rear end sue out of existent because the article is
copyrighted.  The back issues are available from the publisher.  Just send $7 to

     Computer Shopper
     Attention Back Issue, 5th floor
     1 Park Ave
     New York, NY 10016
     tele# (609) 354-4975

The issue is Computer Shopper Sep 88, Vol. 8, No. 9, Issue 104.  I think you can
probably request the individual article instead of getting the entire issue, but
you have to call to see if this is possible.  If it is possible, the article is
titled "Macintosh SCSI Drive Secret Revealed, Save Money by Building Your Own
Hard Disk System, by Ted Drude."  It is located on P.28, 29, 59, 60, and 61.

The contents of the article includes:
   - Apple SCSI vs ANSI SCSI
   - System Requirements
   - Converting from the Mac 25pin to 50 pin SCSI
   - Terminators

The article mentioned that there are kits available from a number of different
sources if you don't want to built from scratch:

     Hard Drive International    (800) 234-3475
     Sunnyvale Memories          (800) 262-3475
     Tulin Corporation           (408) 432-9025

Also I notice an ad in the April issue of MacWorld from a Universal Macproduct,
Inc. (714) 581-3442.  They are selling a disk for "Build Your Own Macintosh"
disk for $7.  This may be a better deal than going through Computer Shopper.
The disk is supposed to walk you through all process of building and buying a
hard drive.  They also sell case, and power supplies.

Note that I own none of the above products, and have no experience with any of
the above manufacturers.  I chicken out and brough a Ehman drive because it was
only a little higher in price (hardware tend to blow up when I touch it any way)

dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dan Schwarz) (03/13/90)

In article <2867@mtuni.ATT.COM> psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) writes:
>I like to apologize to all those people who sent me requests for the copy of
>the Computer Shopper article, but I was informed that this generosity will
>result in getting my rear end sue out of existent because the article is
>copyrighted.  The back issues are available from the publisher.  Just send $7 to
>
>The contents of the article includes:
>   - Apple SCSI vs ANSI SCSI
>   - System Requirements
>   - Converting from the Mac 25pin to 50 pin SCSI
>   - Terminators

$7 for a reprint from a $3.50 magazine?  What a ripoff!  I'd really love to
know some of the very important information in that article, though...

would it be possible for you to summarize [without plagiarizing, and therefore
infringing on copyrights] the technical info that's worthwhile (i.e.
Apple vs. Ansi ScSI, converting 50-25 pin SCSI, and terminators) and post
that to the net?  I'd sure appreciate it, and I bet a lot of other folks would,
as well.

-Dan

--
| Same as it ever was  | Dan Schwarz, MB 2926 Brandeis U. | RECYCLE YOUR JUNK|
| Same as it ever was  | I'NET dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  | SUPPORT EARTH DAY|