[comp.sys.mac] Old macs question

jimwan@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (James Wanderer) (03/08/90)

What does one do with an old Mac - single sided drives,
1 meg on third party board - to make it usable again?

It has been sitting around awhile ......

Jim Wanderer
"Follow PAC-10 Basket Ball!! :-< "

s36572u@puukko.hut.fi (Karl Tigerstedt) (03/13/90)

In article <32689@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> jimwan@lanai.UUCP (James Wanderer) writes:
>What does one do with an old Mac - single sided drives,
>1 meg on third party board - to make it usable again?
>
>It has been sitting around awhile ......

    Here's what I did:

a) 1988 bought a Fat Mac motherboard (512k) for 250 FMK (60 USD) and a
   keyboard & single sided drive.
b) Got hold of a high quality terminal monitor and hooked it up to the
   mac.
c) Used that configuration for a couple of months, then got tired of
   small disks & little memory.
d) Got 128k ROM's
       a Seagate 277N 65 Meg HD.
       a Four socket SIMM memory expansion board
       an A+ mouse
       a Good power supply (150 watts)
       4 x 1 Meg SIMM's
       a SCSI controller board
       an IBM XT system chassis
       an external 800k drive (Cutting Edge)

Instructions:

You stir and mix a little, say a few magical words and voila! :

You have a functioning "Mac Plus" system with 4 Megs of memory, adequate
hard disk and a good monitor. If it wasn't for the keyboard, people would
think I'm using a "normal" IBM clone! Works fine. Estimated total cost of
system : 7500 FMK (1800 USD). May not be cheap in the states, but it sure
is cheap here in expensive Scandinavia. Comparison: A normal Mac Plus
with only 1 800k internal drive costs 6600 FMK.

s36572u@puukko.hut.fi (Karl Tigerstedt) (03/13/90)

In article <32689@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> jimwan@lanai.UUCP (James Wanderer) writes:
>What does one do with an old Mac - single sided drives,
>1 meg on third party board - to make it usable again?
>
>It has been sitting around awhile ......

    Here's what I did:

a) 1988 bought a Fat Mac motherboard (512k) for 250 FMK (60 USD) and a
   keyboard & single sided drive.
b) Got hold of a high quality terminal monitor and hooked it up to the
   mac.
c) Used that configuration for a couple of months, then got tired of
   small disks & little memory.
d) Got 128k ROM's
       a Seagate 277N 65 Meg HD.
       a Four socket SIMM memory expansion board
       an A+ mouse
       a Good power supply (150 watts)
       4 x 1 Meg SIMM's
       a SCSI controller board
       an IBM XT system chassis
       an external 800k drive (Cutting Edge)

Instructions:

You stir and mix a little, say a few magical words and voila! :

You have a functioning "Mac Plus" system with 4 Megs of memory, adequate
hard disk and a good monitor. If it wasn't for the keyboard, people would
think I'm using a "normal" IBM clone! Works fine. Estimated total cost of
system : 7500 FMK (1800 USD). May not be cheap in the states, but it sure
is cheap here in expensive Scandinavia. Comparison: A normal Mac Plus
with only 1 800k internal drive costs 6600 FMK.
   This is just one example of what you can do with an old mac, but if
you're not familiar with soldering & measuring, forget it.