[comp.sys.mac] Conversion of pic files to text

DRCOON@pucc.Princeton.EDU (David Ralph Coon) (03/13/90)

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO CONVERT A MAC PICTURE FILE INTO
A TEXT FILE. WE WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO CONVERT A GRAPH, SUCH AS ONE
ENTERED IN FROM THE MACVISION PROGRAM, INTO A TEXT FILE WHERE THE GRAPH IS
REPRESENTED BY A SERIES OF NUMBERS. THIS WILL ENABLE US TO MANIPULATE THE
GRAPH AS A SET OF NUMBERS. WE WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF ANYONE COULD EXPLAIN
TO US HOW TO DO THIS.

derosa@cell.mot.COM (John DeRosa) (03/14/90)

DRCOON@pucc.Princeton.EDU (David Ralph Coon) writes:

>I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO CONVERT A MAC PICTURE FILE INTO
>A TEXT FILE. WE WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO CONVERT A GRAPH, SUCH AS ONE
>ENTERED IN FROM THE MACVISION PROGRAM, INTO A TEXT FILE WHERE THE GRAPH IS
>REPRESENTED BY A SERIES OF NUMBERS. THIS WILL ENABLE US TO MANIPULATE THE
>GRAPH AS A SET OF NUMBERS. WE WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF ANYONE COULD EXPLAIN
>TO US HOW TO DO THIS.

You could start by printing this file to a laser printer and capturing
the postscript output.  In the postscript file will be the bitmapped
representation of the graph.  I don't know how this could be very useful
but here goes:

1) If you don't have the laserwriter driver in you system folder, get it
there.

2) Choose print from the file menu and then click on OK.  IMMEDIATELY hit
clover-f.  This will prevent the file from printing and create a file
called postscript1.  I can't tell you where the file will end up, in my
case it ends up in "spool folder" in the system folder, but I am
using backgrounder.
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =
=                   e-mail: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =