[comp.sys.mac] using an HP LaserJet to print from a Mac

ns299ac@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Twyla Sarfaty) (03/06/90)

Hi!

I'm an ardent Mac user working in a lab full of IBM PC's. I have
a printer at home (with a second Mac--both are pluses), but no way
print at work. I'm told that I can connect my Mac to the lab's
LaserJet, but I need more information. I'm interested in info
regarding both my cheapest options and my highest quality output
options.

Thanks,

Twyla

Please e-mail responses to tsarfaty@ucsd.edu

DSONNTAG@cc.utah.edu (David M. Sonntag, MSPH) (03/14/90)

In article <8220@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, ns299ac@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Twyla Sarfaty)
writes:

> I'm an ardent Mac user working in a lab full of IBM PC's. I have
> a printer at home (with a second Mac--both are pluses), but no way
> to print at work. I'm told that I can connect my Mac to the lab's
> LaserJet, but I need more information. I'm interested in info
> regarding both my cheapest options and my highest quality output
> options.

I had the same problem, being the only mac user in an office full of
(God I hate that word) DOS machines.  I found that MacPrint works OK
, but only if your LaserJets have enough RAM to handle the graphics.
Our problem is that the machines only have 512K of RAM, which isn't
really enough to handle good graphic output.  Since I have an SE/030
with a FDHD, it's easier for me to save my wordprocessing docs in
MS-DOS format (MS-WORD), which the secretaries user on the PC, and
then print directly from the PCs.  For graphic work, I just print
on an IWII with a new, black ribbon.

FYI, MacPrint is put out by Insight development Corp.  (415) 652-4115,
Fax (415) 652-9857, and it comes with a connecting cable.  I bought
it from MacWhorehouse for $79.00

Good luck.
Dave Sonntag                              International EnviroSearch
Internet:  DSONNTAG@CC.UTAH.EDU           (801) 466-1035
CIS:  71341,1575