[comp.sys.mac] Remember Black Box?

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (03/05/90)

Does anyone out there remember BlackBox?  I've still got version 1.5, but
I'm frustrated by the non-fatal address errors that are caused when most
programs get launched.

Very briefly, when I launch a number of my applications from the dock, I
get Address Error #0040A6DA.  Since I'm running TMON, I click Exit to ride
the error out and get (usu) three more just like it.  After the fourth
time, I attempt an Exit and the program will launch.  I've not yet run into
a program that it wouldn't launch... but most of mine encounter the problem
I'm described above.

Does anyone know if the author has been working on corrections for this
(and other) problem?  Does he have an address on the net?  I would enjoy
this application if it would operate without such problems, but what is one
to do if the author apparently has given up?

Bill Taroli
WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu

svc@well.sf.ca.us (Leonard Rosenthol) (03/07/90)

In article <2338@rodan.acs.syr.edu> wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) writes:
>Does anyone out there remember BlackBox?  I've still got version 1.5, but
>I'm frustrated by the non-fatal address errors that are caused when most
>programs get launched.
>
>Does anyone know if the author has been working on corrections for this
>(and other) problem?  Does he have an address on the net?  I would enjoy
>this application if it would operate without such problems, but what is one
>to do if the author apparently has given up?

	I have some good news for you Black Box owners...Andrew Welch, the
author of BlackBox , has been hard at work for the last couple of months
working on a project originally called Menagerie, and now called QuickTools
(to be marketed commercially by Casady & Greene, inc.).
	QuickTools will be a package of five utilities whose functionality
originally began as the individual pieces of BlackBox, and then grew from there.
Included in the package are:
	Functionality - Makes the F1-F4 keys work as they are marked
	Dialog Power - Gives cmdKey equivalents to checkBoxs, radioButtons and
pushButtons in your dialogs and alerts.
	SunSet - A modular screen saver (like AfterDark or Pyro 4.0)
	Snipper - THE BEST SCREEN CAPTURE UTILITY TO DATE!  (Anyone who has
ever tried to capture _JUST_ one window/dialog or _JUST_ one menu will LOVE this
as it has a special mode for 'windows/dialog' and menus.  You have to see this
to believe it!
	PowerStrip - this is the NeXT-like application doc which is now movable,
resizable, and hidable.  It also supports document launching!

	Although I have not confirmed this with C&G, QuickTools will ship in
time for MacWorld SF (or Andrew will be in trouble ;-)

Disclaimer: I have been working with Andrew getting the last couple of bugs
and features taken care of and have written some of the Sunset modules so I
guess that makes me baised....

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

tarr-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (michael tarr) (03/07/90)

I hope that Andrew has included all of these as a single init --
otherwise some of the advantages of black box (1 init, less system
interrupts) will be lost. Plus I would hope the following might be
included: clicking on an app's icon while in that app does not generate
an out of memory message; the ability to have windows associated with a
running app disappear while in another app -- clicking on that app makes
them reappear; ability to replace an app in the icon dock without having
the others "move up" so that new ones added to the dock appear at the
bottom of the list. Screen blanking which does not stop file transfers,
background printing, etc...; removal of the black box config icon so
that another app may be loaded (make it a cdev).

Mike Tarr

6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (GurgleKat [Pete Gontier]) (03/07/90)

From article <2338@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, by wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli):
> Does anyone out there remember BlackBox?  I've still got version 1.5, but
> I'm frustrated by the non-fatal address errors that are caused when most
> programs get launched.

> Does anyone know if the author has been working on corrections for this
> (and other) problem?  Does he have an address on the net?  I would enjoy
> this application if it would operate without such problems, but what is one
> to do if the author apparently has given up?

I am beta-testing the commercial version. I never liked the idea, but then
again the BlackBox part of the beta kit is only just that -- a part. Anyway,
I haven't had any such problems. The author can be contacted on Online America
and GEnie and that's about it. Unfortunately, there is no mail path from
most of NetLand to either of those places. Yet. I'll forward mail to him if
anyone needs to know anything.
--
Pete Gontier   | InterNet: 6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu, BitNet: 6600pete@ucsbuxa
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (GurgleKat [Pete Gontier]) (03/07/90)

> I hope that Andrew has included all of these as a single init --
> otherwise some of the advantages of black box (1 init, less system
> interrupts) will be lost.

Well, I suppose you're entitled to that opinion. :-) But there are
advantages to having separate INITs. One is that when the beta period
is over, I won't be using Functionality, since QuicKeys takes care of
that for me and I would like to have some conceptual unity. (I know, that
and INITs don't mix. Tough cookies.) And really, as far "less system
interrupts" goes, there isn't really much to that unless the "interrupts"
(which I will take to mean "interruptions" rather than the more technical
term) involve disk i/o; most of them don't.

> Plus I would hope the following might be
> included: clicking on an app's icon while in that app does not generate
> an out of memory message;

Well, that sounds like a bug, and it's probably been fixed. I will try and
check it for you.

> the ability to have windows associated with a
> running app disappear while in another app -- clicking on that app makes
> them reappear

Wait for System 7.0. That will be in the Apple menu. Or at least beta
MultiFinders I have seen exhibit that feature. It's called "Put Away"...

> ability to replace an app in the icon dock without having
> the others "move up" so that new ones added to the dock appear at the
> bottom of the list.

Another thing I will have to check for you. Prod me with some mail so
that I will remember to report my findings.

> Screen blanking which does not stop file transfers, background printing,
> etc...

Sunset doesn't fight with America Online's file transfers that I've noticed,
but it will always be possible for one of its modules to do so (unwisely, and
only as the result of a third party's indiscretion). I always wondered why
After Dark didn't lock event handling into its INIT, but...

> removal of the black box config icon so that another app may be loaded
> (make it a cdev).

Hmmm. Not quite sure what you mean, here. There isn't a slot taken up by
a configuration button, if that's what you mean.
--
Pete Gontier   | InterNet: 6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu, BitNet: 6600pete@ucsbuxa
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

tarr-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (michael tarr) (03/08/90)

Will registered Black Box users get a discount on the Commerical versions?

Zeff.Wheelock@p1.f450.n101.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Zeff Wheelock) (03/14/90)

Unfortunately, Andrew has a problem when trying to combine more than one function
in an init.  Look at Commander.  It would have been great if he just had the
Paste and cut in dialog boxes, but he tried to add more functionality to the
init and it bombed on most the tries that I went though.

Zeff Wheelock

--
Zeff Wheelock via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!101!450.1!Zeff.Wheelock