[comp.sys.mac] Grouch 2.0 -- update on my posting attempts

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George D. Nincehelser) (03/10/90)

For all of you who have responded to my questions about how
to upload...Thanks!

I'm almost there, but I've one more question...

I'm using mcvert on my unix box to convert from .hqx to .sit
after mailing the files to myself.  mcvert is supposed to
remove the mail headers and combine the files automatically.
When I try to do this, the resulting .sit file is messed up.
If I remove the mail headers, it works fine.  Am I doing
something wrong here?  If so, what?

--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George D. Nincehelser) (03/10/90)

OK.  I seem to have narrowed the problem.  mcvert seems to be having
a problem with my mailer.

Elm adds the line:

This seems to cause mcvert to fail.  If I take the offending line
out of each file, everything is OK.

Anybody have any ideas on this?  I like mcvert and elm, but I would
like them to get along (at least if I plan to do any more file postings).

--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \
 / / /   Advanced Technology Laboratory  \  Fax:  (314) 235-5797      \
/ / / /\  1010 Pine, St. Louis, MO 63101  \  de asini umbra disceptare \

wiseman@tellab5.tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (03/14/90)

In article <1242@swbatl.sbc.com> george@swbatl.UUCP (George D. Nincehelser) writes:
   [stuff deleted]
>This seems to cause mcvert to fail.  If I take the offending line
>out of each file, everything is OK.

I do not quite understand your problem but I use elm and mcvert although moving
files between my mac and unix are done using a terminal program and ymodem.

Something that I discovered though may be affecting you. When you run mcvert on
a normal macbinary .sit file, you get a .hqx file whose last line DOES NOT HAVE
A LINE TERMINATOR (ie. new line or carraige return) before the end of file
mark. Ffor some reason, this bothers stuffit. I usually have to go in and edit
the last line to add the newline after the ":" character.

Some editors such as vi have a tendancy to sometimes do this by them selves. So
if you edited the file for any reason, the newline at the tail could
automatically be inserted.

Just a guess that might be pertinent

(by the way, if the last line of a .hqx file generated by mcvert is full,
mcvert can put the ":" on the next line all by itself. This will also cause
problems that can be fixed by just editing the file and moving the ":" back
where it belongs.)

Hope this helps

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM