[comp.sys.mac] SecureInit

frankc@skat.usc.edu (Frank H. Callaham III) (03/14/90)

Joel Ness (jness@ub.d.umn.edu) writes:

> Here is a brief report on my experiences with SecureInit, what it can
> do, why I'm not using it (not that it isn't a good product), and what I
> would _really_ like to see in a product of this type.
>
> This Fall we put in a lab of 16 MacIIcx's, each with a hard disk [stuff
> deleted]
>
> We bought enough copies of SecureInit for the lab. They send you
> separately serial numbered copies but I haven't checked to see yet
> whether it does one of those obnoxious AppleTalk serial number
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> broadcasts to see if you're using the same copy on two machines.

Well no need to check...  Each copy of SecureInit broadcasts it's own little
obnoxious serial number.

I think I should pause for a moment and explain something:
FLAME ON
   I absolutely HATE SecureInit(in it's current form).  The only reason
   for this poor attitude is their use of AFP protection.  They
   advertise their product as being GREAT for mac labs, but then they
   insist (by using the AFP Protection) that you go around to EACH one of
   hundreds mac to install SecureInit.  Obviously no one from Direct
   Software has ever been in a mac lab that has more that 5 machines!!!
FLAME off

> [List of features deleted...]
>
> * Some of SecureInits other features could be nice. Rebuilding System
> files from [hidden] backups is a great feature...[more stuff deleted]

After they take the AFP protection off...(I wanted this more than a 1
year warranty from Apple, oh, well.), I'd like to see this feature
expanded to include the entire hard disk AND have the refresh be
selective (right now it simply refreshes everything whether or not it
has been changed).

> [Some good lab tips (hide sys folder, etc...) deleted]
>
> I'd be interested in anyone else's experiences with SecureInit or other
> lab management software.

The product is VERY VERY touchy.  If you are careful, you can get it
installed and everything works fine.  But I've found that if the
installation is unsuccessful, you have to start over with a fresh copy
of SecureInit and the System.  This also holds true for changes.
Although they say that you can turn each option off or on at any time,
I have yet to see this work.

My main problem with SecureInit is the utter FRUSTRATION of seeing a
product that has the POTENTIAL to be THE mac lab tool (and beyond),
only to be stopped because of a stupid copy protection scheme!!!

How about a compromise??  My proposal is that they keep the AFP
protection for orders of say less than 100 and remove it from
"qualified"(labs, classrooms, etc...) sites that license more than 100
copies.  Let's be reasonable, no organization with 100 or more macs is
going to cheat on a $20 useful utility.

> Direct Software, Inc.
> 1032 Irving St., Ste 513
> San Francisco, Ca 94122
> 415-347-1590
Fax:415-347-7991

> Pricing is:
> 10-19	    $40 each
> 20-29	    $35 each
> 30-49	    $30 each
> 50-99     $25 Each
> 100-499   $20 each and on down.
>
> Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
> Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL
> University of Minnesota, Duluth

Frank Callaham
University of Southern California
Microcomputer Support
frankc@skat.usc.edu
These are my opinions not USC's.  I just happen to work there...