[comp.sys.mac] MacsBug 6.x

jskuskin@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey Kuskin) (05/26/89)

    If MacsBug 6.x is available on Genie, Compuserve, etc., I assume it
is legal to get a copy without purchasing it from APDA (with no manuals,
of course).  So... could some kind soul mail me a copy?

Thanks.

-- Jeff Kuskin, Dartmouth College

EMail:  jskuskin@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (05/26/89)

Dear Jeff -
	Unfortunatly, your assumption is incorrect.  MacsBug is available from
the various electronic servinload for your own use.  You are not allowed
to redistribute it.
	There is a basic misconception about MacsBug, ResEdit, and other
software from Apple that they are Public Domain.  They are not.  They are
software that is licensed to individuals to use.  And since they are licensed
to individuals, we have to know who those individuals are.  Therefore, it
has to be downloaded from an electronic service that can display the correct
license agreement and make a record of your name and the software that you
downloaded.  These are all requirements of the US Copyright office.  That
is why you do not see Apple software posted to the net and why it is not
kosher for you to give your friends a copy of MacsBug or ResEdit.

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET
Development Tools Product Management   AppleLink: Mattson1
20525 Mariani Avenue, MS 27S
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-974-4601
			"Joy is the serious business of heaven."
					C.S. Lewis

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (05/26/89)

In article <31655@apple.Apple.COM> jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) writes:
>	There is a basic misconception about MacsBug, ResEdit, and other
>software from Apple that they are Public Domain.  They are not.  They are
>software that is licensed to individuals to use.  And since they are licensed
>to individuals, we have to know who those individuals are.  Therefore, it
>has to be downloaded from an electronic service that can display the correct
>license agreement and make a record of your name and the software that you
>downloaded.  These are all requirements of the US Copyright office.  That
>is why you do not see Apple software posted to the net and why it is not
>kosher for you to give your friends a copy of MacsBug or ResEdit.
>
>Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
>Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET
>Development Tools Product Management   AppleLink: Mattson1
>20525 Mariani Avenue, MS 27S
>Cupertino, CA 95014
>408-974-4601
>			"Joy is the serious business of heaven."
>					C.S. Lewis

At this point, I'd like to point out that ResEdit and MacsBug are
available from several user groups. Apple advertises this fact.
The user groups have to "license" them from Apple (similar methods
go for the system disks). Apple even charges yearly licensing fees
to the groups. Apparently, somebody inthe legal department thinks
that Apple is better protected is the licensing involved a monetary
transaction. This means that many of the poor non-profit user groups
have to scrape up like $50 a year for each Apple thing they distribute.

Even worse is that Apple wants the user groups to buy labels from
Apple to put on copies of the System disks.

Most importantly, Ellen Leanse (formerly "User Group Evangelist")
now heads up the "marketing" group that deals with user groups.

Just goes to show that Usenet isn't the only place that isn't getting
a beneficial treatment on this matter.
-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   - Yoyodyne    -
-  Crown College, UCSC     - UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba- Propulsion  -
-  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    - BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  - Systems     -
-  (408) 426-8869          - Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.        -             -

quinnt@rpics (Tom Quinn) (05/26/89)

I checked on GEnie last night, in the Mac developers section, and the
highest numbered version of Macsbug available was 5.5.  How soon can
we expect the latest versions of Macsbug to appear there (or did I
miss it somehow)?  Also, the "real" ResEdit 1.2 wasn't to be found
either.

Tom
Thomas F. Quinn					quinnt@turing.cs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Computer Science Department

magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) (05/27/89)

In article <5158@rpi.edu> quinnt@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Tom Quinn) writes:

>I checked on GEnie last night, ...How soon can we expect the latest versions
>of Macsbug to appear there ...?   Also, the "real" ResEdit 1.2 ...

I just ordered MacsBug 6.1 and ResEdit 1.2 from APDA and was told that they
were at the duplicators and would be shipped by mid June so they'll probably
show up "real soon now".

--
	------------    ------------   ----------------------
	Ben Liberman    USENET         magik@chinet.chi.il.us

t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (05/28/89)

In article <7687@saturn.ucsc.edu> alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) writes:
>At this point, I'd like to point out that ResEdit and MacsBug are
>available from several user groups. Apple advertises this fact.
>The user groups have to "license" them from Apple (similar methods
>go for the system disks). Apple even charges yearly licensing fees
>to the groups. Apparently, somebody inthe legal department thinks
>that Apple is better protected is the licensing involved a monetary
>transaction. This means that many of the poor non-profit user groups
>have to scrape up like $50 a year for each Apple thing they distribute.

I just received a letter from Apple which mentioned in it if our user group
couldn't afford the licensing fee to contact them and they would work something
out.  This came from their "quickconnect" newsletter to usergroups on page 3.
There's a little article titled "Obtainging System Software."  The article
also mentions that users groups can get a licence to make it available on
bulletin boards for a seperate licence of $50 per year for each Apple computer
family.

They give the Software Licensing Department number of (408)974-4667. They can
also be linked at SW.LICENSE on AppleLink.

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * UofU * t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu

nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Norman William Franke, III) (05/30/89)

That is understandable, but what about people without access to Genie? Would
it be possibe for Apple to set up a method for doing a similar process, but
over Internet? For example, send a mail to some address, and then the license
agreement will be automatically sent to the author of the mail. And also
requesting more information, which the author of the mail would send back
and have a copy of ResEdit or MacsBug sent to them via mail in BinHex format?

Just an idea
Norman Franke
nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu

ke2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/12/90)

  Basically, I'm trying to find out more about MacsBug v6.x.  What features
does it add, where can I get it, etc.

  I've been running v5.5 which came with (among other things) my THINK Pascal
development system that I got a couple years ago.  Since then, I've heard
rumors about new features and problems with older versions and new systems,
but haven't seen anything concrete.

  If this is in the public domain, I would greatly appreciate a copy - please
mail me a binhexed copy or at least point out a net archive or listserver from
which I can get it (I really can't access BBSs right now)

  Alternately, if it is NOT in the public domain, please let me know about
upgrades.  I'm hoping that someone out there is in a position to get this info
to me.

  Thanks.

                                                  --John

|  John T. Chapman                       |                                    |
|                                        |  Witty message under repair...     |
|  ke2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu             |                                    |
|  ke2y@crnlvax5.bitnet                  |                                    |
|       Disclaimer: These opinions are mine.  You can't have them!            |

ke2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/13/90)

I finally got the newer version of Macsbug.

Thanks to everyone who sent me mail about it.  You've all been very helpful!

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (03/14/90)

In article <3613.25fb7ee9@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> ke2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
writes:
> Alternately, if it is NOT in the public domain, please let me know about
> upgrades.  I'm hoping that someone out there is in a position to get
this info
> to me.
I don't know if it is in the public domain or not, but I got my MacsBug
6.0, with the manual, as part of a bundle I ordered from the Apple Program
Developer's Association.  You can get their address, etc., from Apple.
I've lent my manual out, so I don't have the ordering info available right
now.  If you call me, I will get it for you.

- Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.
cah0@bunny.gte.com
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131