[comp.sys.mac] mac video

cs290ac@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (03/12/90)

I'm looking for information on displaying video on the mac.  I need to
be able to display video, recorded from a camera (an interactive video
lesson), in a mac window (not on a seperate monitor).
Does anyone have any suggestions on products for this?
The computer used would be a mac IIci.  I also was wondering whether with
the advent of re-writeable optical disks, if there is a writable video
disc player (this would be very preferable to sending away for video
discs to be made).

--Ron Smith

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/12/90)

In article <18000043@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs290ac@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I'm looking for information on displaying video on the mac.  I need to
>be able to display video, recorded from a camera (an interactive video
>lesson), in a mac window (not on a seperate monitor).
>Does anyone have any suggestions on products for this?
>The computer used would be a mac IIci.  I also was wondering whether with
>the advent of re-writeable optical disks, if there is a writable video
>disc player (this would be very preferable to sending away for video
>discs to be made).

Hi,

  I've had personal experience with Mass Microsystems' ColorSpaceIIi and
ColorSpace/FX boards.  With these two boards, you can do live video, any size,
in a window on the Mac screen.  You can also freeze-frame, mirror, flip, and
do other fun contortions with the video.  The boards come with a demo done in
SuperCard, plus a stack of XCMD's to use in your own software.  They seem to
work quite well, although I've never had to program for one.

  Regarding the LD:  I don't think anybody has a rewritable LD out there yet,
but I do know that Panasonic has a write-once LD machine.  The model number
escapes me, an it's not handy at the moment.  If anybody wants, I can check
(there's one in my office, but I'm at home now).  The machine records
1/2hr/disk, at the standard 50,000 frames/side, CAV rate.

Hope this helps!

--Mike

Disclaimer #1:  While I've used both of the above products at the Media Lab,
and while I am a student in their employ, I don't speak for them in any way,
and this in no way constitutes any statement of preference on the part of the
Lab (hey, there's about one of everthing around here.  How could we have a
preference?  :-)).

Disclaimer #2: I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about
our society.  Nonetheless, nothing that I say can or should be construed as
having been said by anyone.  Ever.

cs290ac@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (03/13/90)

how do these boards take input?  I mean, do they use some standard
video input, and how to control the disc player through software?

--Ron Smith

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/14/90)

In an article of <12 Mar 90 10:39:35 GMT>, cs290ac@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

 cA>I'm looking for information on displaying video on the mac.  I need to
 cA>be able to display video, recorded from a camera (an interactive video
 cA>lesson), in a mac window (not on a seperate monitor).
 cA>Does anyone have any suggestions on products for this?
 cA>The computer used would be a mac IIci.  I also was wondering whether

RasterOps has just announced a new board for that purpose at under $1500. There
was a review on a British board in MacWorld in the Jan or Feb issue.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org