[comp.sys.mac] icl8 editing problems

prosser@green.cs.wisc.edu (Ed Prosser) (03/06/90)

I'm having a problem editing icl8 resources using F. Miserey's ResCicn
extensions to Resedit.  Specifically, I'm trying to play with the SunDesk
icons a bit, but when I attempt to use a tool from the icl8 editing palette,
a system error ID=10 occurs.

I'm using ResCicn 1.0b4, Resedit 1.0b2, and ResColors 1.0 on a Mac IIci.
The problem occurs with and without the plethora of INIT's that I use.  Does
anyone know of an incompatibility with the IIci?  Is there something tricky
to pasting the ResCicn extensions into Resedit that I could have done
incorrectly?  Should I just bag it and use ColorFinder?

Thanks for any help.  Responses via e-mail are preferred.

Ed Prosser
University of Wisconsin - Madison CS Dept
prosser@cs.wisc.edu

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (03/07/90)

From article <9880@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, by prosser@green.cs.wisc.edu (Ed Prosser):
> I'm having a problem editing icl8 resources using F. Miserey's ResCicn
> extensions to Resedit.  Specifically, I'm trying to play with the SunDesk
> icons a bit, but when I attempt to use a tool from the icl8 editing palette,
> a system error ID=10 occurs.
>
> I'm using ResCicn 1.0b4, Resedit 1.0b2, and ResColors 1.0 on a Mac IIci.

It's my guess that you should be using ResColors with Resedit 1.2 or later.
Also, I believe that my version of ResColors is 1.08, and that may have fixed
some problems...

	- Ed Rotberg -

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (03/13/90)

All the tools you mentioned -- ResCicn 1.0b4, Resedit 1.0b2, and
ResColors 1.0 -- are guarenteed to crash on whatever Mac they are run on.
Especially ResEdit 1.0b2. But all versions you mentioned are out of date
and mutually incompatible. The good news is that updates (except for
ResEdit; you'll have to talk to Apple about that) are readily available
for free.

In order to use ResColors you MUST have:

  ResEdit 1.2.
  ResColors 1.0b8 or newer.
  32-bit QuickDraw (from Apple)

Please note that any "d", "a", or "b" versions of ResEdit are NOT
recommended.  Also many people falsely assume that, say, version 1.2d3
is a more current version of 1.2. This is incorrect. A version
designated 1.2d3 would be the 3rd development version on the way to
producing the final 1.2 product.

I have ResColors 1.0b10 available for anonymous ftp at my site.

        host name       ics.uci.edu
        host IP addr    128.195.1.1
        login           anonymous
        password        guest
        path            pub/mac/ResColors

Once again, you WILL need Apples Color Disk (32-bit QuickDraw) and
the release version of ResEdit (version 1.2). I had these at my
site, but the Apple Thought Police made me remove them. Silly.
They will GIVE them to you, but I can't give them to you. Even
though the tools are of NO USE to anyone who hasn't bought a Mac.
So, sadly, your on your own as far as digging up those.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

Dorman.Bullard@p4.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Dorman Bullard) (03/14/90)

In message: <25FC3ECE.16848@paris.ics.uci.edu>, truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott
Truesdell) writes (in part):

> I have ResColors 1.0b10 available for anonymous ftp at my site.

That version was on America On line, and the author (or his
agent) had it withdrawn saying it had some serious bugs.
version 1.0b11 is now available there.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.4!Dorman.Bullard
Internet: Dorman.Bullard@p4.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org