[comp.sys.mac] Low Cost Mac Redux

patten@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Brian Patten) (03/14/90)

Could it be that the poor reviews I have heard about the test
version of the lost cost Mac are causing Apple to rethink their
strategy?  (The "reviews" I heard were strictly rumor-mill reviews.)
If Apple went ahead and tried to market a Cripple Mac (i.e. 68008 CPU
(8 bit bus is dead guys), three SIMM slots, ...) would they be making
the same mistake that IBM made with the PC Jr.?
I don't think that marketing a low cost Mac with the same power and speed
as the existing low end machines would be particularly wise (my opinion).
Apple *needs* a low cost Mac.  The need a machine the average user can afford
They need to build product loyalty.  But it's tough to build
product loyality when the average user CAN'T AFFORD APPLE PRODUCTS!

Come on Apple!  Big Blue made a mistake with the PC Jr., don't repeat
it.  They tried to market a machine that anyone could afford, but they
didn't give it any power.  I think it was one of the biggest flops in
recent computer history.  There is a *huge* market out here for a low
cost Mac, you'll still make a decent profit from the thing.  You just
need to make it worth our while.  And perhaps in a few years
I'll decide to buy one of your $10-20000 machines, but not right now.
When I have a real job, or when I can get someone else to pay for it,
perhaps then.

Brian M. Patten
University of Hawaii
Institute for Astronomy
My opinion is strictly my own.  It does not represent the opinion
of my present employeer, past employeers, or future employeers.

mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (03/14/90)

From March 13 MacWeek:

Top 10 personal computers sold by US specialty stores in Dec 89:

IBM 55sx	386sx
IBM 30 286	286
Compaq 386s	386sx?
IBM 55z		386sx
IBM 70		386
Compaq 286e	286
Mac SE		68000
Mac Plus	68000
Apple IIgs	65816
Epson Equity	?

The way I read this graph is that the IBM market is heading headlong
into the 386 world and selling alot of them.  No MacII class machine
made the list !?!  If apple wants the low end they have to sell
machines that compete with the 386sx machines from IBM and Compaq.

Mark Interrante   		Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"Imagine what it would be like if TV actually were good. It would be the end
 of everything we know."  Marvin Minsky

tmyers@athena.mit.edu (Tracy S Myers) (03/14/90)

In article <22666@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) writes:
>Top 10 personal computers sold by US specialty stores in Dec 89:
[ stuff deleted]

>IBM 55sx	386sx
>IBM 30 286	286
>Compaq 386s	386sx?
>IBM 55z	386sx
		^^^^^
I believe that the model 55z is a 10Mhz 286 machine, and the 'z' stands
for zero wait states.