[comp.sys.mac] _Launch 2.5

ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael A. Libes) (03/13/90)

The newest version of _Launch, v2.5, has been uploaded to comp.binaries.mac:

_Launch v2.5 is the latest version of a Multifinder utility which
provides the Macintosh equivalent to an icon dock.  It is similar to
the NeXT application dock, but runs as a separate Multifinder program.

Applications, DA's, and files can all be installed as individual icons.
Any application can be launched with a double-click, no matter where it
actually exists on your disk drive.

Version 2.5 fixes the bugs found in v2.0.  The Finder can be installed
in the dock without hanging the system.  Changing icons no longer causes
system crashes.

_Launch 2.5 also provides a great speedup in updating.  There is no
longer a ten second delay when the _Launch window is uncovered.  There
is an interum fix called v2.1, but this version created some new bugs.

_Launch is Shareware, but it's cheap.  Try it out, give it to all your
friends, and if you find it useful, it only costs $10.

Enjoy...

        - Lunarmobiscuit

Gavin_Eadie@um.cc.umich.edu (Gavin Eadie) (03/13/90)

In article <cZz5ayG00UhW02c2hV@andrew.cmu.edu> ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Michael A. Libes) writes:
> The newest version of _Launch, v2.5, has been uploaded to ...

I've tried versions of _Launch from 2.0 through 2.5 on my MacIIci and they
all fail. Specifically, I get a resource manager error (-192) when I start
it up the first time and a bus error when I select an application to place
in the cell I just dubl-klikd.

Has anyone else managed to get _Launch to work on a ci?
---
Gavin Eadie
The University of Michigan Information Systems
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103-4943

jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jon Joshua) (03/14/90)

In article <1990Mar13.131252.4747@terminator.cc.umich.edu> Gavin_Eadie@um.cc.umich.edu (Gavin Eadie) writes:

> In article <cZz5ayG00UhW02c2hV@andrew.cmu.edu> ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu
> (Michael A. Libes) writes:

> Has anyone else managed to get _Launch to work on a ci?

Has anyone gotten it to work on a plus?  My mouse freezes when the
dock is drawn.

JOn.
--
                        /\                    ?               ________________
jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu \  ____   __       fgu             |.signature under|

dudek@ai.toronto.edu (Gregory Dudek) (03/14/90)

  My mouse freezes up when I try & run Launch 2.5
on my Mac Plus under 6.0.2
  If I use the mouse defrost FKEY, I can use it, but
that seems rather ugly, to say the least.

ebert@arisia.Xerox.COM (Robert Ebert) (03/14/90)

Add me to the list of people who haven't gotten _Launch to work.

I have limited good results, but often hang when trying to attach
a file.  It's amusing to read the 'inits have compatibility problems'
statement when the proposed 'compatible' application isn't.  Not even
With itself.  This is too bad, because I think _Launch is a great
concept... now if only it would work!

			--Bob

anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) (03/14/90)

In article <7165@arisia.Xerox.COM>, ebert@arisia (Robert Ebert) writes:
>Add me to the list of people who haven't gotten _Launch to work.
>
>I have limited good results, but often hang when trying to attach
>a file.  It's amusing to read the 'inits have compatibility problems'
>statement when the proposed 'compatible' application isn't.  Not even
>With itself.  This is too bad, because I think _Launch is a great
>concept... now if only it would work!
>
>			--Bob

Lest we get too negative about this situation, I want to say that I've
been using _Launch since 1.2, and I've never had a problem - keep up
the good work!

anders

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (03/14/90)

In article <7165@arisia.Xerox.COM> ebert@arisia.UUCP (Bob Ebert) writes:
>Add me to the list of people who haven't gotten _Launch to work.
>
>I have limited good results, but often hang when trying to attach
>a file.  It's amusing to read the 'inits have compatibility problems'
>statement when the proposed 'compatible' application isn't.  Not even
>With itself.  This is too bad, because I think _Launch is a great
>concept... now if only it would work!

Well, I'm happy to announce that for me this little jewel works.
And I like it. I have a Mac II (without any stupid letters:-)
Perhaps it should be mentioned that although this is an application
it still can get conflicted by INITs and cdevs. So if it doesn't
work for you try it without any system "specialities" and find out
if it still don't work.

--

	----------------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)-------------
			University of Vaasa, Finland

kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar13.131252.4747@terminator.cc.umich.edu> Gavin_Eadie@um.cc.umich.edu (Gavin Eadie) writes:
>I've tried versions of _Launch from 2.0 through 2.5 on my MacIIci and they
>all fail. Specifically, I get a resource manager error (-192) when I start
>it up the first time and a bus error when I select an application to place
>in the cell I just dubl-klikd.

  Same error occurs on my Portable. I keep downloading Launches and then
Launching them right at the trash can. Pity 'cause I even paid my
shareware fee and would really like to use the thing.

-David

-David C. Kovar
	Consultant				ARPA: kovar@popvax.harvard.edu
	Eclectic Associates			BITNET: corwin@harvarda.bitnet
	Ma Bell: 617-646-0428			MacNET: DKovar

         "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

[All opinions expressed are my own. Noone else assumes responsibility for me.]