[comp.sys.mac] Deskwriter usage For logging from Comm programs

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (03/10/90)

In article <160700096@primerd> barry@primerd.prime.com writes:

>Most comms programs that log traffic do so by dumping characters onto
>the printer port, bypassing the printer driver completely.  The HP
>DeskWriter does not have any builtin fonts and cannot be used in this
>fashion.  Pushing HP to "fix" the DeskWriter is likely to be useless
>since we're talking about a basic design decision.  Anyone who needs to
>log traffic on the printer port would be better served by the DeskJet
>Plus.

Note,

Versterm 4.0 (and I believe earlier versions) will work perfectly
in conjunction with the deskwriter. The page setup dialog has an option
whether you want the logging (and other printing functions) should
drive the printer directly, or use the installed printer driver.

I have had no problems. It is yet another example of why I love versaterm.

Josh Hodas
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (03/15/90)

>In several Tech Notes (124, 192) Apple specifically recommends AGAINST using
>the low level calls. The preview of System 7.x at last year's developer's
>conference says "No pass-through (Draft) printing".
>
>Given this, I really can't blame HP for not supporting low-level calls.
>
>If low level calls are important, then Apple should have told us so.  Maybe
>it is MicroPhone that is out of step.
>
>Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

You hit the nail on the head Marc.  We also interpreted Apple's tech notes as
a sign that all printing should migrate away from the low level printing
calls.  Only a few applications remain that use the low level printing calls
anyway.  It's hard to believe that these people haven't switched to the
"Apple Approved" high level calls after all of Apple's warnings in their
Tech Notes.

As the Church Lady on Saturday Night Live would say:
"Oh, you're using the low level calls ... how   C O N V E N I E N T !!!!"
"Now who's idea was that anyway?  Who could it be?  Could it be ..."

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard