[comp.sys.mac] mactcp contd; and Telnet question

judge@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas Judge) (03/15/90)

Thanks to those who responded to my question about MacTCP/IP:
for those interested on the net, the MacTCP driver version 1.0
contains bugs which can cause macs connected through localtalk and
fastpaths/gatorboxes to hang. This will be fixed, they tell me, by
the next release.
(If you have an ethernet card in your mac or do not have mactcp the
above does not apply to you.)

Now, one more question: why is it that with both NCSA Telnet and the
Stanford MacIP, the quote and apostrophe keys dont work with
an apple extended keyboard? I get random capital letters instead.

thomas

hirchert@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kurt Hirchert) (03/15/90)

In article <34943@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> judge@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas Judge) writes:
>Now, one more question: why is it that with both NCSA Telnet and the
>Stanford MacIP, the quote and apostrophe keys dont work with
>an apple extended keyboard? I get random capital letters instead.

I suspect you must be running some INIT to give you "smart" quotes.  The code
points on the Macintosh for these curved apostrophe and quotation characters
correspond to the code points for capital letters with the high order bit
turned on.  Many machines use the high order bit in characters for parity, so
terminal emulators like Telnet ignore the high order bit to avoid being
confused by it.  Thus, your "smart" quotes look like capital letters to the
terminal emulation.  Turn off "smart" quotes and Telnet should behave normally.
--
Kurt W. Hirchert     hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (03/15/90)

In article <34943@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> judge@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas Judge) writes:

>Now, one more question: why is it that with both NCSA Telnet and the
>Stanford MacIP, the quote and apostrophe keys dont work with
>an apple extended keyboard? I get random capital letters instead.
>
>thomas

They are not 'random' characters...  They are the low-order (I
believe) bit characters for the 'smart-quote's'.  Capital U and T,
correct?  I run into the same problem when I upload Mac files to the
Unix system (and the Vax system) that I work with.

--

	-=Alan=-
	aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu