[comp.sys.mac] _Launch 2.x

ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael A. Libes) (03/14/90)

It seems that _Launch 2.x not only crashes on Mac Pluses, but is also
unusable on IIci's.  Both of these problems are being looked into, and
will hopefully be solved soon.

    - Luni

jskuskin@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey Kuskin) (03/14/90)

_Lauch 2.5 also crashes on a IIcx.  I tried it with
MacWrite 4.6 and FullWrite 1.1 and both programs
crashed into MacsBug after I typed a few (about 6)
characters.  Removing _Launch solved the problem.

-- Jeff Kuskin, Dartmouth College

jskuskin@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

meggers@mothra.nts.uci.edu (Mark Eggers) (03/14/90)

jskuskin@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey Kuskin) writes:

>_Lauch 2.5 also crashes on a IIcx.  I tried it with
>MacWrite 4.6 and FullWrite 1.1 and both programs
>crashed into MacsBug after I typed a few (about 6)
>characters.  Removing _Launch solved the problem.

I'm using _Launch 2.5 with a Mac IIcx, 5 MB, 6.04, and Multifinder 6.1b7.
I can successfully run Word, Excel, MacDraw, NCSA Telnet, tn3270, and MPW
3.0.

I have a reasonable ton of inits / cdevs as well.

I like the program - /mde/

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (03/15/90)

In article <20536@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> jskuskin@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey Kuskin) writes:
>_Lauch 2.5 also crashes on a IIcx.  I tried it with
>MacWrite 4.6 and FullWrite 1.1 and both programs
>crashed into MacsBug after I typed a few (about 6)
>characters.  Removing _Launch solved the problem.

After doing some INIT shuffling (I nominate John Rotenstein for elevation to
MacDeity for INIT CDEV -- did you get my postcard, John?), I found that
_Launch2.5 clashes with both Moire 3.0 and WindowShade.  Installing either
one causes _Launch to not launch, then the Mac freezes on the next mouse
click.  I've already sent mail to "Luni" about this; I thought the rest of
you might want to know as well.

#define JUST_KIDDING

    Having replaced Moire with Darkness (by the same author), I wonder if
    the Moire clash was deliberate? :-)

#undef  JUST_KIDDING

I'm using a IIcx with portrait monitor, system 6.0.4, and tons of INITs and
CDEVs.
--
Larry Kollar	UUCP ...!gatech!dcatla!mclek		VoiceMail:One  2670
Georgia 400:  the Southeast's premier 48-mile 4-lane dragstrip.

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (03/15/90)

In article <34692@dcatla.UUCP> mclek@sunb.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) writes:
>In article <20536@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> jskuskin@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey Kuskin) writes:
>>_Lauch 2.5 also crashes on a IIcx.  I tried it with
>>MacWrite 4.6 and FullWrite 1.1 and both programs
>>crashed into MacsBug after I typed a few (about 6)
>>characters.  Removing _Launch solved the problem.
>
>After doing some INIT shuffling (I nominate John Rotenstein for elevation to
>MacDeity for INIT CDEV -- did you get my postcard, John?), I found that
>_Launch2.5 clashes with both Moire 3.0 and WindowShade.  Installing either
>one causes _Launch to not launch, then the Mac freezes on the next mouse
>click.  I've already sent mail to "Luni" about this; I thought the rest of
>you might want to know as well.

I use Moire v3.02 and _Launch v2.5 without conflicts.

--

	----------------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)-------------
			University of Vaasa, Finland

meggers@mothra.nts.uci.edu (Mark Eggers) (03/16/90)

Well, I have finally made _Launch 2.5 crash on my Macintosh (IIcx, 5MB,
6.04, Multifinder 6.1b7). It turns out that when an appplication runs
out memory, rather than Application Unexpectedly Quit (out of memory), you
get buss errors (with MacsBug). Usually you can escape out of the application,
which will be _Launch 2.x. You will get an Application Unexpectedly Quit
Message.

I have a feeling that it has something to do with handles being trashed by
the expiring program that aren't being handled by _Launch 2.x

Just a thought - /mde/