[comp.sys.mac] Mac netnews stack -- free or thru APDA?

GilbertD@IUBio.Bio.Indiana.Edu (Don Gilbert) (03/15/90)

The Netnews Reader hypercard stack written by Harry Chesley is of interest
to many netnews readers.  It is bundled with a HyperTCP developer's kit
from APDA, which sells for about $30 and requires MacTCP to operate.  I
cannot find anything in the docs with it that comment on the copyright or
distribution status of this stack.   Is the news reader stack available
for free distribution or do users need to purchase the developer's kit
thru APDA (many of whom have no interest in C source code for TCP or in
joining APDA) ?
     -- Don

Don Gilbert  biocomputing office  / archive for
gilbertd@iubio.bio.indiana.edu   / molecular & general biology
biology dept., indiana univ.,   / ftp iubio.bio.indiana.edu
bloomington, in 47405, usa     / (129.79.1.101) user anonymous

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (03/15/90)

In article <615@cica.cica.indiana.edu> GilbertD@IUBio.Bio.Indiana.Edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
>The Netnews Reader hypercard stack written by Harry Chesley is of interest
>to many netnews readers.  It is bundled with a HyperTCP developer's kit
>from APDA, which sells for about $30 and requires MacTCP to operate.  I
>cannot find anything in the docs with it that comment on the copyright or
>distribution status of this stack.   Is the news reader stack available
>for free distribution or do users need to purchase the developer's kit
>thru APDA (many of whom have no interest in C source code for TCP or in
>joining APDA) ?

I walked down the hall and asked Harry.  He says that the stack is
free, redistribute it as you will.  Note that MacTCP is *NOT* free;
there is either an individual charge or site license fee which must be
paid.  You also need to set up an NNTP server with which the netnews
reader stack can communicate.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com
  Advanced Technology Group

louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) (03/15/90)

> I walked down the hall and asked Harry.  He says that the stack is
> free, redistribute it as you will.  Note that MacTCP is *NOT* free;
> there is either an individual charge or site license fee which must be
> paid.  You also need to set up an NNTP server with which the netnews
> reader stack can communicate.

I have not got around to sending for it, but offhand, does anyone
now the cost of a site license for MacTCP? Is it worth it?
It seems more and more applications are using it. If you but the
current version, will upgrades be included (once), or if not, will
a nominal charge be given to those who bought it.

--
Louis McDonald		Internet: louis@aerospace.aero.org
The Aerospace Corporation

vschonau@aqua.ucs.indiana.edu (03/15/90)

In article <68787@aerospace.AERO.ORG>, louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M.
McDonald) writes...
>> I walked down the hall and asked Harry.  He says that the stack is
>> free, redistribute it as you will.  Note that MacTCP is *NOT* free;
>> there is either an individual charge or site license fee which must be
>> paid.  You also need to set up an NNTP server with which the netnews
>> reader stack can communicate.
>
>I have not got around to sending for it, but offhand, does anyone
>now the cost of a site license for MacTCP? Is it worth it?

A site license for MacTCP is $1000.  (so I heard....)  Single license:
$100.

..Vincent

+ Vincent Schonau  ..   Exchange Student from Holland at I.U....what a world. +
+ Bitnet: vschonau@iubacs         Internet:    vschonau@amber.ucs.indiana.edu +
+                                         :   sl198004@silver.ucs.indiana.edu +
+            Opinions? Who needs opinions? Ask someone else!                  +

mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (03/16/90)

If the stack is freely distributed, could someone please mail me a
copy or tell me where it is archived for FTP?

Thank,
Mark.

Mark Interrante   		Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"Imagine what it would be like if TV actually were good. It would be the end
 of everything we know."  Marvin Minsky

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/16/90)

In article <39485@apple.Apple.COM> blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
>In article <615@cica.cica.indiana.edu> GilbertD@IUBio.Bio.Indiana.Edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
>>The Netnews Reader hypercard stack written by Harry Chesley is of interest
>>to many netnews readers.  It is bundled with a HyperTCP developer's kit
>>from APDA, which sells for about $30 and requires MacTCP to operate.  I
>>cannot find anything in the docs with it that comment on the copyright or
>>distribution status of this stack.   Is the news reader stack available
>>for free distribution or do users need to purchase the developer's kit
>>thru APDA (many of whom have no interest in C source code for TCP or in
>>joining APDA) ?
>
>I walked down the hall and asked Harry.  He says that the stack is
>free, redistribute it as you will.  Note that MacTCP is *NOT* free;
>there is either an individual charge or site license fee which must be
>paid.  You also need to set up an NNTP server with which the netnews
>reader stack can communicate.

If you already have MacTCP at your site, you can download the HyperCard
MacTCP Toolkit which includes the Netnews stack from the Apple FTP site
(IP 130.43.2.2).  Look in ~ftp/pub/dts/mac/stacks/

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) (03/16/90)

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:

>In article <615@cica.cica.indiana.edu> GilbertD@IUBio.Bio.Indiana.Edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
>>The Netnews Reader hypercard stack written by Harry Chesley is of interest
>>to many netnews readers.  It is bundled with a HyperTCP developer's kit
>>from APDA, which sells for about $30 and requires MacTCP to operate.

>I walked down the hall and asked Harry.  He says that the stack is
>free, redistribute it as you will.

>--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com
>  Advanced Technology Group

	OK, can anybody post this to info-mac or comp.binaries.mac ?

--
| Louis Demers              | DREV, Defence Research Establishment,Valcartier |
| louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca | POBox 8800, Courcelette,Quebec, CANADA, G0A 1R0 |