[comp.sys.mac] Roms

rc2o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Lee Chung) (03/09/90)

     Can anyone tell me what the hardware, interms of ROMs and interface,
there is with the FDHD drives.  I have looked at the rom versions of both
the Mac SE and one with a FDHD drive and I think that they are the same
version.

-Rich

rc2o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Lee Chung) writes:

>     Can anyone tell me what the hardware, interms of ROMs and interface,
>there is with the FDHD drives.  I have looked at the rom versions of both
>the Mac SE and one with a FDHD drive and I think that they are the same
>version.

The ROM doesn't change, but the disk controller chip is changed.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

All spirits are enslaved which serve things evil -- Shelley

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (03/16/90)

In article <39346@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>rc2o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Lee Chung) writes:
>
>>     Can anyone tell me what the hardware, interms of ROMs and interface,
>>there is with the FDHD drives.  I have looked at the rom versions of both
>>the Mac SE and one with a FDHD drive and I think that they are the same
>>version.
>
>The ROM doesn't change, but the disk controller chip is changed.
>
>Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Can you explain that further?  A local Apple dealer said they would upgrade
my 2 drive SE to 1 FDHD and 1 800k drive for $310.   They said it involved
replacing 3 ROMS @ $70 a pop, and $100 + one of my old 800k drives for a FD
HD.
By what you said there, only ONE chip has to be changed????

Charles