[comp.sys.mac] Finder "Clean Up"

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (03/15/90)

Holding option while selecting the "Clean Up Window" selection from the
Finder's Special menu changes the option to "Clean Up", and essentially does a
re-grid of ICONs in the current window.  My question is: Can I make the "Clean
Up" action the default (i.e. I don't want to have to hold option)?  I've poked
around with RESedit, but didn't see anything obvious.

Thanks!

 /'')  /'~  /   | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Ramparts are parts of a
/''\  /,,  /,,  | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long |  ram.  People used to
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com |  watch o'er them.

anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) (03/15/90)

Well, you could use the Layout application and toggle the option to
always grid drags.  This way you would never have icons out of place,
although they wouldn't be arranged w/out holes as with the Clean Up
command.

anders

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/15/90)

In article <9228@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

>Holding option while selecting the "Clean Up Window" selection from the
>Finder's Special menu changes the option to "Clean Up", and essentially does a
>re-grid of ICONs in the current window.
[original question deleted]

As long as we're talking about the Finder's Clean Up function, could someone
from Apple, or somebody who's seen Finder 7.0 set my mind at ease on one
thing:  Is this routine more intelligent now?  i.e. if I hit clean up, it
doesn't line up the icons horizontally in a row longer than the window is
wide, and Clean Up Window doesn't move icons to totally different locations in
a window, but to their nearest grid?????????  Please????

--Mike

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (03/15/90)

In article <11250@zodiac.ADS.COM>, anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) writes...
>Well, you could use the Layout application and toggle the option to
>always grid drags.  This way you would never have icons out of place,
>although they wouldn't be arranged w/out holes as with the Clean Up
>command.

Right.  That's why I asked the question.  I've already received several
replies by e-mail suggesting exactly what you did.  I do have that option
turned on, but frequently find holes developing in my ICON layout after doing
file deletion/moving.  Thus, I do a "Clean Up" far more often than a "Clean Up
Window", and posed my original question about making "Clean Up" the default.

Thanks for the replies so far,

hill@petsd.UUCP (John S. Hill) (03/16/90)

In article <9228@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@mcntsh.UUCP writes:
>Holding option while selecting the "Clean Up Window" selection from the
>Finder's Special menu changes the option to "Clean Up", and essentially does a
>re-grid of ICONs in the current window.  My question is: Can I make the "Clean
>Up" action the default (i.e. I don't want to have to hold option)?  I've poked
>around with RESedit, but didn't see anything obvious.

Set the "Always Grid Drags" (or something like that) bit in the Finder's
LAYO resource, and you'll never have to clean up again.  Icons will always
be gridded (if that's a word).  There are some other interesting bits to
set/reset there also.  Enjoy.

--
+=====================================+=======================================+
| Mustang GT, there is no substitute. | Go Eagles, Flyers, Phillies, Sixers,  |

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/17/90)

In article <1771@petsd.UUCP> hill@petsd.UUCP (John S. Hill) writes:

>Set the "Always Grid Drags" (or something like that) bit in the Finder's
>LAYO resource, and you'll never have to clean up again.  Icons will always
>be gridded (if that's a word).  There are some other interesting bits to
>set/reset there also.  Enjoy.

Yeah, but the Finder is awfully stupid about how it deals with this.  It will
allow you to put one icon on top of another, thus totally obscuring it.  This
is okay (marginally) if you're moving things around on your own, so you can
control placement, but I've had programs like Word write their new documents
out and had the icon cover the old ones.  What a pain!!!  I just always hold
down Command while I drag, causing the icons to pop to the grid....

--Mike