[comp.sys.mac] All MacWrite docs have incorrect "Kind"?

mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) (03/17/90)

One of our users is having a problem with her Mac SE.  It seems that
her MacWrite documents have changed their "Kind" to "letter for bob
document"  where "letter for bob" is the name of a  Macwrite document
that she created this morning.

I got the call when she couldn't double-click on any document to open
it (application not found or busy).  When I got to her office, I found
that ALL of the MacWrite documents on her hard disk had the bogus
"Kind".  MacPaint and it's documents were unaffected.  I found the
"letter for bob" (although I must admit that I failed to see if I
could open it from within MacWrite), and I noticed that I cannot
change the name.  Clicking in the middle of the name does not bring
the text cursor up it just leaves the whole name highlighted.

I put a copy of my MacWrite distribution floppy in and it's sample
documents too had the same "letter for bob document" Kind.  Creating
and saving new documents also had the Kind.  I brought my floppy back
and tried it on one of our HardDiskless Macs and the sample documents
were returned to being "MacWrite documents".

I've warned the user not to share disks with any other Mac's and told
her that MacWrite appears to work fine if she opens documents from
within MacWrite itself.

Anyone know what could be causing this?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

-- michael
Michael McGuffey, Senior Software Applications Analyst
Phone:    304/696-3212			University Computer Center
FAX:      304/696-3601			Marshall University
BITNET:   mcguffey@muvms3		Huntington, WV 25755-5320
Internet: mcguffey%muvms3@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (03/17/90)

In article <14727@muvms3.bitnet> mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) writes:

>One of our users is having a problem with her Mac SE.  It seems that
>her MacWrite documents have changed their "Kind" to "letter for bob
>document"  where "letter for bob" is the name of a  Macwrite document
>that she created this morning.
>
>Anyone know what could be causing this?  Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.
>

>-- michael

This problem is caused by the 'Bundle' bit being set...  This tells
the Finder (incorrectly) that the file is an application. (Actually,
it tells the Desktop file this.)  I'm not quite sure how this might
have happened, but that is the most likely cause.  The problem would
be fixed (if no other way) by copying the file 'letter for bob' onto a
floppy, deleting it from the hard drive, rebuilding the desktop, and
opening the file from the floppy, and resaving it (within MacWrite)
onto the hard drive.  There are less complicated ways but this is the
quick&dirtiest...

One easier way is to get the program "BundAid" and run it, and then
rebuild the desktop (I think - I'm not absolutely sure it is
necessary..)

Good luck

--

	-=Alan=-