[comp.sys.mac] Boomerang 2.0

thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) (03/16/90)

Last week, I download Boomerang 2.0 to try it out and see if it was worth it.
I used it a couple of days and was pretty pleased, and then....it stopped
working.  When I booted up, the Icon had a slash through it.  I tried to
access it through the control panel which did not work.  It gave me a message
like the preference file was damaged.

What gives?  I am considering downloading it again, but will this happen
again?  Has the author put a two day expiration date before the program dis-
ables itself?

I am running 6.0.4 with Multifinder 6.1b9 on an SE/30 with 5 MB of RAM.

Thanks in advance,

---Derek Fong
fong@cive.stanford.edu
thewho@portia.stanford.edu

m_herodotus@coors.dec.com (Mario Herodotus - Digital Customer Support Center (800) 525-6570) (03/17/90)

In article <10229@portia.Stanford.EDU>, thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) writes...
>Last week, I download Boomerang 2.0 to try it out and see if it was worth it.
>I used it a couple of days and was pretty pleased, and then....it stopped
>working.  When I booted up, the Icon had a slash through it.  I tried to
>access it through the control panel which did not work.  It gave me a message
>like the preference file was damaged.
>
>What gives?  I am considering downloading it again, but will this happen
>again?  Has the author put a two day expiration date before the program dis-
>ables itself?
>
>I am running 6.0.4 with Multifinder 6.1b9 on an SE/30 with 5 MB of RAM.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>---Derek Fong
>fong@cive.stanford.edu
>thewho@portia.stanford.edu

Same thing happened to me on a IIcx, 5Meg, 6.0.4 system, 6.1b9 Multifinder.
I had a feeling it might be INIT CDEV causing the problem.  The reason I say
this is that just prior to the ICON showing up with the slash I had used INIT
CDEV to disable boomerang.  I only got two days of use out of it.  If it
works, it would be worth it, but this is not fun, I may just go back to HFS
Navigator.

Mario

      I can't afford my own opinions, and DEC won't pay for them either.
Mario Herodotus   [ CX03 1/K4 ]   |        m_herodotus@coors.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation     |
Customer Support Center           | - or - m_herodotus%coors.dec@decwrl.dec.com
305 Rockrimmon Blvd.              |
Colorado Springs, CO 80919        | - or - ...!decwrl!coors.dec.com!m_herodotus
(800) 525-6570  Ext 25520         |
[direct line (719) 592-5520]      |

f86_fredrik@fyvax2.fy.chalmers.se (03/18/90)

In article <10229@portia.Stanford.EDU>, thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) writes:
> Last week, I download Boomerang 2.0 to try it out and see if it was worth it.
> I used it a couple of days and was pretty pleased, and then....it stopped
> working.  When I booted up, the Icon had a slash through it.  I tried to
> access it through the control panel which did not work.  It gave me a message
> like the preference file was damaged.
>
> What gives?  I am considering downloading it again, but will this happen
> again?  Has the author put a two day expiration date before the program dis-
> ables itself?
>
> I am running 6.0.4 with Multifinder 6.1b9 on an SE/30 with 5 MB of RAM.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> ---Derek Fong
> fong@cive.stanford.edu
> thewho@portia.stanford.edu

It is not uncommon that the Boomerang Preferences file gets trashed if you
have a system crash or some such. If you have done  a lot of configuration
in it (e.g. permanent files and folders, command key equivalents), then
you should make a backup copy every now and then so you can replace the bad
file from this. Otherwise, just copy the clean file you got when downloading.
(what? You haven't saved a copy? How stupid! :-)

Otherwise I think that Boomerang is THE most useful addition to the system
I've ever seen. I really don't know how I've ever got along without it.

|   Sven Axelsson         |  d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se  |  DISCLAIMER:     |
|   dep:t of Linguistics  |          (^^ best ^^)          |                  |
|   univ. of Gothenburg   |        dlv_sa@hum.gu.se        |  This is not     |
|   SWEDEN                |      usdsa@seguc21.bitnet      |  a disclaimer.   |