[comp.sys.mac] Off line newsreader

jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (03/14/90)

I was wondering if anyone had ever gotten around to writing an off-line
newsreader for the Mac. I have seen many off-line mail readers for
the PC world, and I keep thinking how nice it would be to download all
unread news articles, read them at my leisure, compose followups and
mailed replies, then have the mac call the unix box back to update the
.newsrc and post/send the articles.

If anyone knows of anything like this, please drop me a line.

Jeff

--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjw7384@ritvax+----------------------+INET:jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu|
|INTERNET: jjw7384@isc.rit.edu                |'claimer: No one cares.      |

Paul.Jacoby@p4.f22.n282.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Paul Jacoby) (03/16/90)

 jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) writes:

 >I was wondering if anyone had ever gotten around to writing an off-line
 >newsreader for the Mac. I have seen many off-line mail readers for
 >the PC world, and I keep thinking how nice it would be to download all
 >unread news articles, read them at my leisure, compose followups and
 >mailed replies, then have the mac call the unix box back to update the
 >.newsrc and post/send the articles.

I am replying to your message via the program "Jabberwocky" which is an quasi-point package designed for use with QuickBBS bulletin boards and the QMS/XRS system.  Our local Fidonet monolith (Mac's Smorgasboard) has a link to Usenet (see origin line below) and feeds us with comp.sys.mac and a number of other Usenet areas.
  Jabberwocky makes reading several hundred messages more like fun and less like work.  Probably not the direct route you are interested in, but worth mentioning.
  Jabberwocky is $20 shareware from Eric Larson.

--
Paul Jacoby - via FidoNet node 1:282/33
UUCP: ...!uunet!imagery!22.4!Paul.Jacoby

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (03/20/90)

In article <36.2600D6EE@imagery.FIDONET.ORG> Paul.Jacoby@p4.f22.n282.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Paul Jacoby) writes:
|I am replying to your message via the program "Jabberwocky" which is an quasi-point package designed for use with QuickBBS bulletin boards and the QMS/XRS system.  Our local Fidonet monolith (Mac's Smorgasboard) has a link to Usenet (see origin line below) and feeds us with comp.sys.mac and a number of other Usenet areas.
|  Jabberwocky makes reading several hundred messages more like fun and less like work.  Probably not the direct route you are interested in, but worth mentioning.
|  Jabberwocky is $20 shareware from Eric Larson.

Too bad it doesn't do 80-column lines for you.
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."