[comp.sys.mac] Mac netnews stack -- free or thru A

dvb@inmet.inmet.com (03/16/90)

1.  Buy MacTCP from Apple.  (Individual or site--no problem.  Is it big $$?)

2.  Get Harry Chesley's NetNews Reader Stack for HyperCard.
	(OK.  Free?  Great.  How can it bo obtained?  We don't
	 have ftp right now.  Any way to order it or receive it?)

3.  NNTP Server.  (What is this?  This resides on the news host?
	 This handles the host file access?  And where does this
	 piece come from?  Apple?  Host specific stuff?  Cost?)

All this adds up to a Mac reading news from a host over TCP/IP

(Am I close?  On the right track?
 This sounds ideal!  I want 5.   Can someone fill in the questions?
 And two for a PC.  Anyone want to mail me info on that? )

David V. Baker
Intermetrics, Inc.
uunet!inmet!dvb

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (03/17/90)

In article <32300029@inmet> dvb@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>1.  Buy MacTCP from Apple.  (Individual or site--no problem.  Is it big $$?)

$100 individual or  $1000 site license.

>2.  Get Harry Chesley's NetNews Reader Stack for HyperCard.
>	(OK.  Free?  Great.  How can it bo obtained?  We don't
>	 have ftp right now.  Any way to order it or receive it?)

Available via anonymous ftp from apple.com, or from APDA.

>3.  NNTP Server.  (What is this?  This resides on the news host?
>	 This handles the host file access?  And where does this
>	 piece come from?  Apple?  Host specific stuff?  Cost?)

NNTP resides on the news host and is the protocol that the netnews
reader stack uses to retrieve messages.  I imagine the implementation
will depend upon the news host; a VMS host will have different software
than SysV than 4.3BSD than...  Again, available via ftp from all the
usual places, via a 900 number from uunet.uu.net, etc.  See
comp.archives for a list of likely places.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"my opinions, not Apple's"

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt D. Baumann) (03/20/90)

In article <39558@apple.Apple.COM>, blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
> In article <32300029@inmet> dvb@inmet.inmet.com writes:
>
> >1.  Buy MacTCP from Apple.  (Individual or site--no problem.  Is it big $$?)
>
> $100 individual or  $1000 site license.

$2500 for commercial sites.

> >2.  Get Harry Chesley's NetNews Reader Stack for HyperCard.
> >	(OK.  Free?  Great.  How can it bo obtained?  We don't
> >	 have ftp right now.  Any way to order it or receive it?)
>
> Available via anonymous ftp from apple.com, or from APDA.

I think that this comes on the MacTCP disk?  Not sure though.  Or you could
get the Extended version of TCP/Connect II which contains a news reader.
Of course that costs :-).