[comp.sys.mac] ATM Font Families, help

derosa@cell.mot.COM (John DeRosa) (03/14/90)

Has anyone been able to resolve the differing font names
within the ATM fonts and the Font pack (plus pack?, 35
fonts in all, counting variations of the same family).

What I would like to do is create one suitcase with
all the fonts, and then get rid of the variation names
such as Ifontname or BIfontname and just end up with
the root family font names.

I am following the advice in a recent macuser article
to use font harmony that comes with suitcaseII to resolve
this problem.  Font harmony says to fold all the fonts
together as a start.  By fold they mean to not put all
the fonts in a virgin (empty) suitcase but to begin with
an existing suitcase and copy everything else into it.

They Font Harmony allows you to "harmonize" the font
families.  Unfortunately, nothing appears to happen.
Even after a restart, the font menus are the same.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =
=                   e-mail: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/14/90)

>What I would like to do is create one suitcase with
>all the fonts, and then get rid of the variation names
>such as Ifontname or BIfontname and just end up with
>the root family font names.

>=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =

In Jan 1990, issue of Mac User, there is an article about the problem you
described.  It mentioned one of the solution was to convert all the fonts into
the new NFNT format, and merge them using producks like Font Harmony.

But it mentioned that this does not solve all of the problems.  NFNT format may
merge Times, and Times Italics into one family, it cannot handle different font
weights (such as bold, light bold, heavy bold, etc).  In fact, if you select
bold, there's no telling what weight you will be getting.  This is the fault of
the font manager, so there is currently no solution.  The only exception to this
are software that bypass the font manager and use customize font menu like in
Emerald City's Smart Art, their style menu include different weight as oppose to
the usual menu of just one weight of bold.

brecher@well.sf.ca.us (Steve Brecher) (03/15/90)

In article <1611@diamond2.UUCP>, derosa@cell.mot.COM (John DeRosa) writes:
> Font Harmony allows you to "harmonize" the font
> families.  Unfortunately, nothing appears to happen.

You need the current version of Font Harmony, 1.2.1, in order to merge style
variations of NFNT-based fonts such as are in the Adobe Plus Pack.  An updater
for Font Harmony is available on various networks, including, I think,
the comp.sys.mac.binaries group of this net.  (I am the author of Font Harmony.)
--

brecher@well.sf.ca.us (Steve Brecher)

wiseman@tellab5.tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (03/15/90)

In article <2869@mtuni.ATT.COM> psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) writes:
>But it mentioned that this does not solve all of the problems.  NFNT format may
>merge Times, and Times Italics into one family, it cannot handle different font
>weights (such as bold, light bold, heavy bold, etc).  In fact, if you select
>bold, there's no telling what weight you will be getting.  This is the fault of
>the font manager, so there is currently no solution.  The only exception to this

Another way is to put the different bolds into 4 style "sets" assigned a
different name in a suitcase by itself. then use suitcaseII to pull in the
family (eg. heavy bold times) that you want. It's a little clumsy and uses
redundant space on your disk but it is possible in a simple fashion.

Hope this helps

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

DMM@ENO.Prime.COM (03/15/90)

John DeRosa from Motorola writes:

    >> Has anyone been able to resolve the differing font names
    >> within the ATM fonts and the Font pack (plus pack?, 35
    >> fonts in all, counting variations of the same family).

I ran into the same trouble.  While Font Harmony (v1.1) had no trouble
"harmonizing" the fonts that came on the ATM v1.0 disk, it couldn't harmonize
those on the Plus Pack.  It seems that Adobe shipped the Courier/Times/
Helvetica/Symbol fonts on the ATM disk in the old FONT format, while the Plus
Pack was in the new NFNT format.

So, I decided to try the alternative mentioned in the MacUser article:  the
Font/DA Utility application that comes with MasterJuggler.  Font/DA Utility
(v.1.50) had no trouble combining the Plus Pack fonts.

For some other screen fonts I retrieved from the info-mac archives on
sumex-aim, I found I *first* had to run Suitcase's Font Harmony application to
Check/Fix the "illegal" oddities in the Adobe suitcase files (see the Font
Harmony help info), then run MasterJuggler's Font/DA Utility to combine them.

I don't know why Font Harmony is more obstinate than Font/DA Utility, but since
I had both available, I never went to the trouble of asking the Suitcase folks
about it.

derosa@cell.mot.COM (John DeRosa) (03/16/90)

brecher@well.sf.ca.us (Steve Brecher) writes:

>You need the current version of Font Harmony, 1.2.1......

I have 1.2, a legitimate purchased copy I might add.  This must
be a great point release.  Was it just to fix ATM related problems?

I cannot access comp.sys.mac.binaries from the system I am in
as the network types are paranoid of virus infections and playing
games too much.  Any chance I can get from you one of two things?

1) The binhex mailed to me of the update (or is it updater) or,

2) The address/phone number of who to contact to get the update.

Does BMUG have the update?  I'm a member.

Thanks, John (708-632-2374)

Jerry.Bono@p23.f22.n282.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jerry Bono) (03/19/90)

In a message to All [14 Mar 90 06:30:00] John DeRosa wrote:
  >Has anyone been able to resolve the differing font names
  >within the ATM fonts and the Font pack (plus pack?, 35
  >fonts in all, counting variations of the same family).
  >
  >What I would like to do is create one suitcase with
  >all the fonts, and then get rid of the variation names
  >such as Ifontname or BIfontname and just end up with
  >the root family font names.
  >
  >I am following the advice in a recent macuser article
  >to use font harmony that comes with suitcaseII to resolve
  >this problem.  Font harmony says to fold all the fonts
  >together as a start.  By fold they mean to not put all
  >the fonts in a virgin (empty) suitcase but to begin with
  >an existing suitcase and copy everything else into it.
  >
  >They Font Harmony allows you to "harmonize" the font
  >families.  Unfortunately, nothing appears to happen.
  >Even after a restart, the font menus are the same.

      Here are my comments about harmonizing fonts into one suitcase:

Don't do it if you send files to a service bureau for Linotron output.
You are asking for trouble. The screen font information may not carry
over correctly to the service bureaus setup. With the fonts harmonized,
you may be using a light weight or a black weight...and not really know
which weight you are using, and so, if the service bureau does not have
the font, you will have to supply the download font, and won't know
which ones to bring with you for output.

--
Jerry Bono - via FidoNet node 1:282/33
UUCP: ...!uunet!imagery!22.23!Jerry.Bono

brecher@well.sf.ca.us (Steve Brecher) (03/19/90)

In article <1695@diamond2.UUCP>, derosa@cell.mot.COM (John DeRosa) writes:

> Any chance I can get from you one of two things?
>
> 1) The binhex mailed to me of the update (or is it updater) or,

I mailed the hqx of Font Harmony Updater 1.2.1 to derosa@cell.mot.COM, but
it was bounced back due to "user unknown."

> 2) The address/phone number of who to contact to get the update.

Fifth Generation Systems, Inc.
10049 N. Reiger Road
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
(504) 291-7221
--

brecher@well.sf.ca.us (Steve Brecher)

derosa@cell.mot.COM (John DeRosa) (03/20/90)

brecher@well.sf.ca.us (Steve Brecher) writes:

>I mailed the hqx of Font Harmony Updater 1.2.1 to derosa@cell.mot.COM, but
>it was bounced back due to "user unknown."

Sorry, but I don't get an internet mail feed.  If you are able, please
mail it to my uunet address below or mail to wolfson@cell.mot.COM.

  If I don't hear from you
in the next few days, I will contact the company directly,  Thanks again.
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =
=                   e-mail: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =

derosa@cell.mot.COM (John DeRosa) (03/20/90)

derosa@cell.mot.COM (John DeRosa) writes:

>brecher@well.sf.ca.us (Steve Brecher) writes:

>>I mailed the hqx of Font Harmony Updater 1.2.1 to derosa@cell.mot.COM, but
>>it was bounced back due to "user unknown."

>Sorry, but I don't get an internet mail feed.  If you are able, please
>mail it to my uunet address below or mail to wolfson@cell.mot.COM.

I am very stupid.  You can send it to me via applelink account N1111.
It is obvious to the most casual observer that you, as a programmer,
also have an account.  In fact I will try and reach you via that
medium right now.  Please ignore this message as much as possible.
Thanks.