[comp.sys.mac] $99 PROGRAM FREE

naiman-jeffrey@CS.YALE.EDU (Jeffrey Naiman) (02/28/90)

Is anyone going to post the solution and how to get the free copy?
If the solution is running around e-mail, I'd like a copy.

I did see one error that hasn't been pointed out yet: 'real good' in the
first paragraph I believe should be 'really' good. Is anyone taking
charge in this undertaking?

- Jeff Naiman

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (03/01/90)

From article <17271@cs.yale.edu>, by naiman-jeffrey@CS.YALE.EDU (Jeffrey Naiman):
> Is anyone going to post the solution and how to get the free copy?
> If the solution is running around e-mail, I'd like a copy.

That's about the only way I'd ever get the product -- Free!  It's really too
bad that Reference Software has chosen to ignore Fullwrite Pro for their
product.  From everything I have read and heard it is an excellent program.
But I'll be darned if I let a utility program force me into using that
abysmal Microsoft product Word.  So far I have a clean machine -- NO MICROSOFT
products at all!!  I still can't understand why Reference chose to make
Gammatik Mac read Word Perfect files and not Fullwrite!  Does anybody know
someone that uses Word Perfect on the Mac???  Oh well, I suppose I could
always export MacWrite files or just text files, but it really irks me.  I
spoke to a Reference rep yesterday, and she informed me that they have NO plans
to ever support Fullwrite.  Rats!

	- Ed Rotberg -

nagel@ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (03/01/90)

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) writes:

>                                                         Does anybody know
>someone that uses Word Perfect on the Mac???

Well, when I called Reference's tech support, they asked if I was
calling about the PC or Mac version...
--
Mark Nagel
UC Irvine Department of ICS   +----------------------------------------+

m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) (03/01/90)

]   I still can't understand why Reference chose to make
]   Gammatik Mac read Word Perfect files and not Fullwrite!  Does anybody know
]   someone that uses Word Perfect on the Mac???  Oh well, I suppose I could
]   always export MacWrite files or just text files, but it really irks me.
]
Grammatik Mac supports Word Perfect because it has the same file format as
the PC version.  Everyone uses Word Perfect for the PC - so the work was
already done.  The same is probably true for some of the other WPs it
supports.

esf00@uts.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) (03/21/90)

In article <17271@cs.yale.edu> naiman-jeffrey@CS.YALE.EDU (Jeffrey Naiman) writes:
>Is anyone going to post the solution and how to get the free copy?

Yow! Boola-boola!!

I've gone through the ad twice, looking for errors.  I sent off my
list of thirty-one errors a week ago, and I'm waiting for my free copy.
I went over the ad again with a neighbor (after spending a few minutes
finding errors in some text that she was laying out in PageMaker)
and found three errors that I didn't find the first time.

It's all stuff that you would get dinged for in any reasonable writing
class:

	o       spelling errors
	o       use of sentence fragments
	o       unbalanced parentheses
	o       conclusions with no antecedent
	o       sentences joined by a comma
	o       trite usages (billions and billions)
	o       sentences started with conjunctions
	o       misconstructed compound nouns
	o       multiple punctuation marks
	o       exhortations to credulity

... and more!!!!

If you got (or are in the process of getting) an "A" in Freshman
Composition (is that still a college requirement, or am I showing
my white hairs?), it's a twenty minute lark.  If you need help,
rush down to the bookstore, buy a copy of _The Elements of Style_, by
Strunk and White (<<100 pages, lots of white space, takes about an
hour to read) and use that as a reference to parse the text.

Judging from the reviews, expecting this tool to fix your writing
is like expecting the syntax corrections you get from a Pascal
compiler to give you an "A" in Data Structures.

obligatory disclaimer:
CS didn't exist the year I placed out of Freshman Composition.

--
Elliott Frank      ...!{hplabs,ames,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
               or ....!{bnrmtv,drivax,hoptoad}!amdahl!esf00

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]

bparsia@eagle.wesleyan.edu (03/21/90)

In article <10eu02cf943L01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, esf00@uts.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) writes:
> In article <17271@cs.yale.edu> naiman-jeffrey@CS.YALE.EDU (Jeffrey Naiman) writes:
>>Is anyone going to post the solution and how to get the free copy?
>>
> Yow! Boola-boola!!
>
> I've gone through the ad twice, looking for errors.  I sent off my
> list of thirty-one errors a week ago, and I'm waiting for my free copy.
> I went over the ad again with a neighbor (after spending a few minutes
> finding errors in some text that she was laying out in PageMaker)
> and found three errors that I didn't find the first time.

	Grammatik Mac only found (according to the ad) 15 of the errors. If it
can only get less than half of the errors in the letter, what good is it?
(Especially since none of the extra mistakes seemed to be than non-trivial).
	I, personally, could not get through the letter, much less examine it
for errors.
	My advice: just ignore it; it will go away.

Bijan J. Parsia