[comp.sys.mac] Terminal programs over network

jhlieske@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jay Henry Lieske) (03/17/90)

My department recently removed all the hard-wire connections to the
local Unix machine and replaced them with a bridge from the local
AppleTalk to the campus Ethernet.  We got NCSA Telnet to replace
VersaTerm.

Now NCSA Telnet is a great program for the price (free), but I miss the
features of VersaTerm.  The new VT upgrade adds Connection Manager
support.  Would this work with MacTCP so I could use VT over the
network?

--
Jay Lieske			|	Dept. of Geology, Princeton Univ.
jhlieske@phoenix.princeton.edu	|	Princeton, NJ 08544

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt D. Baumann) (03/20/90)

In article <14602@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, jhlieske@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jay
Henry Lieske) writes:
> My department recently removed all the hard-wire connections to the
> local Unix machine and replaced them with a bridge from the local
> AppleTalk to the campus Ethernet.  We got NCSA Telnet to replace
> VersaTerm.
>
> Now NCSA Telnet is a great program for the price (free), but I miss the
> features of VersaTerm.  The new VT upgrade adds Connection Manager
> support.  Would this work with MacTCP so I could use VT over the
> network?

Ah then you would be interested in our InterCon Telnet Driver.  Which works
with VersaTerm Pro.  Give us a call at 703.709.9890 or drop me a line with
your address and I will mail you some info.

Kurt Baumann
--

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (03/20/90)

Anybody out there beavering away on a Telnet connection tool for use
with the new Comms Toolbox? If so, could you put your hand up? Please?
Please?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Computer Services Dept, University of Waikato
Hamilton, New Zealand
Any opinions expressed by the author of this posting are sacred to
Epimetheus, the Greek god of hindsight.

han@apple.COM (Byron Han, Project Scapegoat) (03/21/90)

In article <242.26066fa1@waikato.ac.nz> ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence
D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
> Anybody out there beavering away on a Telnet connection tool for use
> with the new CommToolbox? If so, could you put your hand up? Please?
> Please?

The TCP/IP Connection Tool recently announced in a press release on
AppleLink will support Telnet (and other TCP/IP protocols) as well as
providing a FTP Server.

I am reproducing their press release here for INFORMATION PURPOSES only.
THIS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY ENDORSEMENT OF THIS PRODUCT,

--Begin Forwarded Message--
                                    Contact:    R. Caballero
                                                Advanced Software Concepts
                                                215 ch. de la Sine
                                                F-06140 Vence, FRANCE
                                                France (33) 93.58.19.79.
                                                AppleLink: ADV.SOFT

TCP/IP Connection Tool for Communication Toolbox Product Announcement

ASC is announcing the release of its latest product: a new connection tool
called TCPTOOL. It enables the use of TCP/IP connections using AppleUs MacTCP
driver and the standard access interfaces of the Communication Toolbox.

TCPTOOL proposes:

%  FTP full support for FTP server functions, running as a background task
%  TELNET  full support of the TELNET protocol and negotiations.

TCPTOOL can be used interactively, allowing the settings of all TELNET
parameters efficiently, respecting the Macintosh and Communication Toolbox user
interface to achieve configurations adapted to any type of TCP/IP connection.
It is fully compatible with the Communication Toolbox scripting facilities in
order to simplify the configuration phase which becomes totally transparent to
the user.

TCPTOOL will be shipped to end-users  with 2 floppies and a user manual.
Enclosed are instructions on how to obtain from ASC a full technical
documentation for those interested in using the connection tool for
applications development. The technical documentation includes:
-  discussion of the TCPTOOL-CTB and TCPTOOL-MacTCP relationships
-  list of functions to call
-  detail of result codes, parameters passed and received, fine-tuning
possibilities.

It is possible to obtain the source code, subject to specific negotiation.

TCPTOOL is shipped with:
-  an installation application allowing the System Administrator to RfreezeS
some or all of the configuration parameters to increase security.
-  a file conversion utility (text to resources) to alleviate the constitution
of a list containing host IP addresses accessible.

Unit price is 150 $US. Site licence as well as development and commercial
distribution licences are available on request.

Contact:

Advanced Software Concepts
215, chemin de la Sine
F-06140 Vence
Tl: (33) 93.58.19.79  Fax: (33) 93.58.61.01
AppleLink:  ADV.SOFT

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
````
This information is provided to the Apple Developer Group by the productUs
developer.  Apple cannot warrant any third partyUs product. Please consult the
Apple Products & Ref Library, MENU/Software Library, or Redgate BuyerUs Guide
Library on AppleLink, or contact the third-party company directly for more
information.
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
````
3rd Party Connection
Third Party Press Releases
3-12-90
--End Forwarded Message--

| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                   |
Byron Han, CommToolbox Scapegoat  "Working 100 hours a week and loving it!"
Apple Computer, Inc.              --------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS 69L         Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014               UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
--------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450              Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM

mikek@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Mike Kirkpatrick) (03/21/90)

>>Henry Lieske) writes:
>> My department recently removed all the hard-wire connections to the
>> local Unix machine and replaced them with a bridge from the local
>> AppleTalk to the campus Ethernet.  We got NCSA Telnet to replace
>> VersaTerm.
>>
>> Now NCSA Telnet is a great program for the price (free), but I miss the
>> features of VersaTerm.  The new VT upgrade adds Connection Manager
>> support.  Would this work with MacTCP so I could use VT over the
>> network?
>>

>Ah then you would be interested in our InterCon Telnet Driver.  Which works
>with VersaTerm Pro.  Give us a call at 703.709.9890 or drop me a line with
>your address and I will mail you some info.
>
>Kurt Baumann

And how about an Hewlett Packard terminal emulation mode such as hp2392.
Telnet is great, but we need hp term emulation to be compatible with so
many mainframe applications. The Reflections folks don't support Appletalk
yet. Oh well...
Mike Kirkpatrick
mikek@hpvclmk.hp.com